Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Mickey's Baja Belted

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JoeAngelicchio, Aug 13, 2000.

1. JoeAngelicchio

JoeAngelicchio 1/2 ton status

Mickey\'s Baja Belted

Has anyone who has run these tires had any problems and with what size? Thanks.

<font color=green>Joe Angelicchio
    86 Jimmy 4+3, 35-&gt;39.5 tires,4spd
    </font color=green>
    [​IMG]

2. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

Re: Mickey\'s Baja Belted

I haven't owned any, but I have never heard anything good about them. I'm originally from Michigan, and I can say they definately are not mud tyres. A lot of people would buy them because they are the same size as Swampers, and a little cheaper. Then they'd get upset because they didn't do well in mud. So we thought they sucked. Then I get out to SoCal, and I find out what they are actually for, desert stuff. They're kinda like big AT's. I've heard lots of stuff about them cracking down the middle, hydroplaning, and really bad tire wear and short tire life. I'm told Four Wheel Parts Wholesalers is even in the process of ceasing to carry Mickey Thompson tires because of it. I have a friend in England who's set of 33x14.5R15's wore down in under 20,000 miles, suck on water, and have the crack down the center. I'd say steer clear.

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, 4L60, 3" Gibson, K&N, 3" Rancho, 285/75R16 on 16x8 Baja's

3. ED70K5

ED70K5 1/2 ton status

I wouldn't by them either! A buddy of mine had some 39.5 inch Mickey T's and they totally fell apart after a couple of thousand miles.

Blazin' in TEXAS!

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

A friend of mine has the 39.5's on his 81 Cherokee, what total crap.

Rene <font color=red> 81 K-20 Jimmy </font color=red>
    <font color=green>[​IMG]"God hates a coward"</font color=green>[​IMG]

5. Bone85K5

Bone85K5 1/2 ton status

I had a pair of 32 12.50's on my blazer with no lift and had good luck. They lasted as long as you would expect a set of tires like that to last. Seemed to do fine in the mud for me. Did like how they preformed on the dunes down in flordia. As far as rain and street driving, did as good as any other tire. ANY tire can hydoplane in the rain, these did as good as any tire I had previously owned. Were not very loud on the street either.I generally liked them, no cracks either down the middle.

Ben
    www.BenjaminBone.coloradoK5.com

6. JoeAngelicchio

I was just wondering because I have a set of 17.5/35-15's and haven't had any problems, yet........Must be some bad batches off the molds at Mickey's factory. But still this splitting the the middle is not to good. I was considering some 15/39-16.5 in the future but I want to see what everyone elses experiences were. Thanks guys.

</font color=green>
    [​IMG]

7. Tommy

Tommy 1/2 ton status

I'm on my 3rd set of 18/39's, had good luck so far. my first set had 50000+ miles when they got retired. This last set has to be the worst riding of them all, but still not bad for a big set of tires.

Drive it Like You Hate It!

8. JoeAngelicchio

Hey Tommy,
    Is that a pic of you truck in the photos section? If it is that is a an awesome truck. I need to get myself an early model like yours. If you have more pic's post them.

</font color=green>
    [​IMG]

9. BlazerBoy

BlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

I have a set of 36x14.50 that have about 10,000 miles on them and arnt showing any signs of wear.. (well no more than expected) and I have no problems muddin...

BlazerBoy
    http://generalblueballs.coloradok5.com

10. James

James 1/2 ton status

I have a set of 33x14.50x15 was advised by many not to buy, but I bought. I find they follow every crack in road, and mine actually cracked all the way around the whole diameter of the tire in the middle. All four tires not just front. Had allignment,suspension and ball joints checked. everythings ok. I'll never buy againg. 700.00 down the drain

11. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

I'm running 36x14.5 on my 79' had them about 2 months and cannot believe I wasted my money on them. I think they might be ok if I played in the dessert but I rock crawl, play on trails, and in rivers. They just don't seem to have what it takes for traction, not to mention 2 days ago the tread split on the rear driver side, it only cost $8 to patch but I only have about 4000miles on em. I hope this helps out

Hey anybody wanna trade for some Boggers, it doesn't hurt to ask.

Professional JEEP EATER, it's a population control thing

12. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

I ran a set of 33x14.5x15 HP's on my K-5 due to a friend bought them for his Ford (sorry for saying the F-word). After he found out that his wife had a bun in the oven he couldn't spend the money for a lift for the F*rd. Gave him my Big O's and put they MT on the K-5 for 8 months went to Cal from AZ and drove all over the place. The only thing I didn't like was that they are non Radial. Followed every grove in the road. My cusion went with me on the way to Cal. and was going to take a nap on the way, let's just say she didn't get any sleep until she went to bed that night.LOL

C'moe

<font color=black>the blazer is "Back in Black"

13. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

I've been looking at the new Baja Claws (38" tall, 16" rim) but I wasn't sure how they ride and the way they handled on the rode (follows grooves). After hearing some of the results on the other MT's, I might stay away from MT and keep my Swamper radials. Anyone ever tried the claws?

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods
    [​IMG]