Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

micrometer

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by nyyef, Jul 15, 2004.

1. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

i am in the market for a micrometer set. my first one.

do i buy the set that reads to .001" or .0001". the price difference is over $200 (canadian).

everyone i spoke to has different opinions. some say for the home engine builder/hobbyist .001" is more than enough, especially when you can eyeball between the markings.

but others say that even the most simple motor rebuilds should have reading capability to .0001".

cost is an issue, but not at the sacrifice of quality. any help?

TIA

2. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

If cost is important, get the .001 for now, then if that doesn't work for you, sell it and save up for the .0001 /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

Depends on what you are doing. Do you have the tools to make parts down to .0001". You need a pretty nice lathe to hold that tolerance. Not many things need to be more accurate than .001" since not many machines are accurate to that tolerance. I've been a machinist for a few years now with medical device companies and I have yet to truely need .0001" on my micrometer. However it is nice when you are checking really small cylindrical fits and such.

-Chris

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I have never used a .0001 micrometer and see no use for it unless you're working on something more critical than I am.

5. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

I agree with sickquad....you shouldn't need anything smaller than .001. Good quality micro's should have line bars on the handle to show .0001 anyway. Unless you are getting digital/forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

6. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

All of mine are in the .001 range.
    0 - 5" outside mics
    0 - 8" inside mics
    0 - 6" depth gage

7. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

well i spoke to a engine builder here. i am deciding on the .ooo1".

after the few engines i have built (really enjoyed it), i really want to get in to building higher horsepower motors. i was told that in the long run the smaller reading will come in handy.

also, this evening, the wife has approved the additional funds. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

thanks for the opinions.