Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Microsoft Sucks

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Stickseler, Dec 25, 2004.

1. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

So I get the kids Zoo Tycoon 2 and put it on the lap top...well it gives me issues (which hapen from time to time with a lap top) so I check the read-me and this wont even work on either of the desktops we have. Check out the known list of graphics card issues Is it just me or do they cover all the major cards out there as non compatable :confused:

The following graphics cards have been identified as showing anomalous behavior while running Zoo Tycoon 2. If you have one of these video cards, please read the accompanying information.

All 16 MB graphics cards: If you increase the game resolution setting for Zoo Tycoon 2 with 32-bit color, you may experience some game screen anomalies. To resolve this issue, lower the game resolution and set the color depth to 16-bit.

3Dfx Voodoo 3: Due to limitations with DirectX compliance of this graphics card, the game will not start. Driver updates do not resolve this issue.

AOpen PA256MX: Due to limitations with DirectX compliance of this graphics card, the game will start but then crash when either Campaign, Challenge, or Freeform is selected on the Main Menu.

Asus V-3800: Due to limitations with DirectX compliance of this graphics card, the game will not start.

Asus V-6600 (Geforce 256): Using this graphics card with the retail drivers may result in the game becoming unresponsive when playing in windowed mode. To fix this problem, update your drivers to the latest reference driver from http://www.nvidia.com/.

Asus V-7700 (Geforce2 Ti chip): Due to limitations with DirectX compliance of this graphics card, the game will not start on Windows 98 and Windows Me.

ATI All-in-Wonder (AIW) 128 MB: Using this graphics card with the retail drivers may result in the game not starting. To fix this problem, update your drivers to the latest manufacturer drivers, currently driver version 4.11.0001.6222, from the manufacturer’s website (http://www.ati.com/).

ATI Mobility 7500: Due to limitations with DirectX.....Driver updates do not resolve this issue.

ATI Mobility M9: Due to limitations with DirectX compliance of this graphics card using retail drivers, the game may not launch.

ATI Radeon (all cards): After doing a clean installation or updating your ATI drivers, the game may be unstable. To fix this problem, restart your computer and then Zoo Tycoon 2. If you make AGP or PCI settings changes in the Catalyst Control Center, your game screen may become distorted. To fix, reboot your computer twice after making these changes.

ATI Radeon 7200: Using this graphics card with the retail drivers may result in the game interface appearing corrupted.

ATI Rage Fury MAXX: Due to limitations with DirectX compliance of this graphics card, the game will either not start (with the retail driver) or will become unresponsive after starting (with the latest manufacturer driver). Please update your video drivers to the latest manufacturer or reference drivers.

Creative Blaster TnT: Due to limitations with DirectX ....Driver updates do not resolve this issue.

Diamond Stealth III S540: Due to limitations with DirectX ...Driver updates do not resolve this issue.

Diamond Viper II (S3 Savage 2000 chip): Due to limitations with DirectX ....Driver updates do not resolve this issue.

Diamond Viper V-550: Due to limitations with DirectX ... Driver updates do not resolve this issue.

Elsa Gladiac 920: Due to limitations with DirectX compliance of this graphics card, the game will freeze upon or soon after starting. Driver updates do not resolve this issue.

Hercules 3D Prophet II MX: Due to limitations with DirectX compliance of this graphics card, changing to windowed mode will cause the game to freeze. Please update your video drivers to the latest manufacturer or reference drivers

Hercules 3D Prophet DDR-DVI: Due to limitations with DirectX ...although this is not guaranteed to fix this problem.

Intel 82810 and 82815 chips: Due to limitations with DirectX ...Driver updates do not resolve this issue

Intel 82830 chip: Due to limitations with DirectX ....Driver updates do not resolve this problem.

Matrox Millennium G-400: Due to limitations with DirectX ....Driver updates do not resolve this issue.

Matrox Parhelia 128 MB: Due to limitat.....although this is not guaranteed to fix these problems..

nVidia GeForce (all cards): If you are using an nVidia GeForce graphics card in combination with the Windows 9....Driver updates do not resolve this issue.

If you use the Windows Control panel to change the resolution setting for your desktop, your change will be reflected in the resolutions for windowed mode in the game. Unless the game’s screen resolution setting is higher than the selected desktop resolution setting, this will affect the resolution setting for the game.

nVidia Vanta: Due to limitations with DirectX .... Driver updates do not resolve this issue.

S3 Graphics Pro Savage: Due to limitations with Dire.... Driver updates do not resolve this issue.

S3 Graphics SuperSavage: If you cannot start Zoo Tycoon 2 using the S3 Graphics line of SuperSavage cards, update your drivers to the latest reference drivers.

S3 Graphics SuperSavage/IXC 1179: Due to limitations wit....Driver updates do not resolve this issue.

S3 Graphics TwisterK HP: If you cannot start Zoo Tycoon 2 or if your mouse cursor is not present or blinks using this card, update your drivers to the latest reference drivers.
    SiS 315: Due to limitations with DirectX..... Driver updates do not resolve this issue.

Trident Cyberblade XP: Using this card, you may see flicke...... note that updating your driver may not resolve this issue.

Trident XP 4: Due to limitations with DirectX ....Driver updates do not resolve this issue.

XGI Volari: Using these cards, the mouse cursor is corrupted and may display horizontal lines running through it when you are playing in windowed mode with your desktop set to 16-bit color. Driver updates do not resolve this issue.

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I understand where your coming from , but technology is really fast paced , there won't even be anymore PCI or AGP graphics cards soon , they will be PCI express , then something else . Its unfortunate , because the only laptops I could afford are used , and would leave me in the same boat too :frown1:

3. JDBlazer454

JDBlazer454 1/2 ton status

I am having the same problem with Roller Coaster Tycoon 3, ran their windows game advisor and it says everything is fine and up to date and will work but yet gives me an error saying my video card isn't sufficient :confused: I am running an ATI all in one wonder 128 with 64 mb always was enough until this game and a Spiderman game.

4. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

GReat, we were going to try that next, I love getting in a pissing contest because its opened, but I printed out the error message and all the box says is I need 16mb of video :mad:

5. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

It's gonna get even better.
    My brother has half-life2 and it's got several glitches in it. The game manufacturer makes you register it with them before you can play it and then you can NEVER sell or give it away because it is registered under your account. He loves the game but hates the operating system.

He is the computer nut so I can't elaborate on the specifics. I did get doom3 for xmas and don't have any of the audio/video glitchs that H/L2 has.

6. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

Looking through the list of video cards there I would guess that they would not work well with any of the newer games.

Where it lists 16Mb cards it says they will have problems displaying 32bit images at normal game resolution. That would be true of any game. 16Mb cards don't cut it for games anymore, there just isn't enough memory locations to store all of the information to be displayed in the Millions of pixels it has to fill.

The older ATI, Diamond and Creative cards are based on older, discontinued chipsets that don't have good drivers available for the latrest DirectX version.

The video card market has had many "standards" come and go but generally you get what you pay for when you get a new card.

If you need a new one, my best guess would be to get something based on nVidia's new chipset. Spend more than $100 (some are more than $400.) and you should get a good one.