Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Microsoft sucks!!!!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by hunterguy86, Nov 21, 2005.

1. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

I hate microsoft. I work for an internet tech support company. All of my calls have to do with that damn Outlook express. It is the worst freakin program I have ever seen!!!!! :mad: I'm troubleshooting one right now. It freakin sucks.

I'd rather use the ISP's mail server. Easier and much more trouble free in my Opinion.

Sorry just venting. It's all good now.

2. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

I've never had any problem with OE or Outlook. I guess I'm just lucky.

3. hunterguy86

Seems like its always dialup customers that have problems. IT usually a message thats to big for them to download to their computer and then it clogs the server.

4. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

That does even happen here at work with a monstrous attachment. It will lock up the Outlook for a while. But that is a product of our IT dept. turning down the spigot on our bandwith for the ISP I think.

5. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Well, remember that all the people who are calling don't know what they're doing anyway, and people who don't know what they're doing use OE.

I've had a lot of REALLY stupid questions about OE too.....

Where'd my tolbar go?

Right clock, select, that'll be $20 please

6. hunterguy86

I always try and get them to use their IP's mail server whenever possible. More user friendly.

7. CustomChevy

CustomChevy 1/2 ton status

uhm ..... riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight

1) The ISP's mail server is just a setting you enter into Outlook Express to be able to access your email.
    2) Its not Outlook Expresses fault that eye dee ten tee errors happen (think about it for a while, ID10T)
    3) see #2
    4) if you are looking to recommend a replacemnt, outlook is great, so is mozilla thunderbird.

8. Resurrection_Joe

Rude, minus 25 points

9. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I am sooooooooooooooooooo busted....:crazy: Me make puter work with rock sometimes...:p:

10. Resurrection_Joe

To clarify, I meant to imply, that if you don't know what you're doing, you probably have whatever your computer came with when you took it out of the big shiney box, namely OE

OE never really gave me problems, but I like Thunderbird because... IT HAS A COOLER ICON....

11. CustomChevy

I meant no rudeness. Sometimes sarcasam helps to make a point i find.

12. Resurrection_Joe

Well, honey, vinegar, big stick etc.

Fruit Baskets Are Now Available For 10,000 points

13. hunterguy86

Granted, you do just enter the mail server into OE, it always seems to cause problems. I may not know as much as you when it comes to computers and stuff like that but I am willing to learn.

I would appreciate it if you didnt call me an idiot though. I dont think its cool to look down on someone because they dont know as much about an area as you do.

I dont want to start a rivalry between you and I like we had in the Dirtwarrior days. I really like this site and all the people here. I'm really willing to learn.

If you have any tips for helping me troubleshoot with my customers lay it on me man i sure could use em.

14. CustomChevy

I was not calling you an idiot, but your customers. I've worked a job that is probably exactly what you are doing now, and I dread the sound of a ringing phone to this day.

The only real advice I can give for trouble shooting OE depends on error number.

common errors are as follows.

0x800CCC0D = could not resolve mail server. Troubleshoot connection. If connection seems fine, have customer ping mail server name from command prompt. if it reply's, create new identity in OE (little known trick that solves ALOT of problems in OE)

0x800CCC0E - See above. Also caused by Norton Anti-Virus email scanning. try disabling email scanning and send and recieve again.

0x800CCC0F - sort of the same as 0x800CCC0E, but generally is resolved by recreating the identity, or (depending on what mail server the ISP is using) emptying the 1st message in the users inbox.

What kind of ISP are you working for? or do you do consulting. The third error above is also known to happen when using dial-up and trying to recieve a large attachment.

http://www.modemhelp.net/oeerrors/oe.shtml

lists all known outlook express error codes, was invaluable to me when I started tech support.

15. CustomChevy

I guess this is a good time for a general disclamer. unless provoked, I NEVER speak down to someone directly. Take most of my posts with a grain of salt, i'm sarcastic by nature, and sometimes that is hard to pickup in text form.

the ID10T thing is an old tech support joke, and when pronounced out eye dee ten tee, sounds very much like identity. When I did tech support it was a running game to see how many call you could slip that phrase into without the user catching on. Another popular one is "end loser errors".

When I'm getting at, is what i said above, its not you who I was calling an idiot, but the people who get an email saying that their ISP needs to have them email their uid and password so they can stay activated, and they actually do. I've seen the smartest people use such silly judgment in regards to computers simply because they dont stop to think like they would in any other situation, and it frustrates me to no end.

/rant

16. hunterguy86

Oh ok! Sorry, I thought you were referin to me instead of the customers.
    I hope everything is cool between you and I. I dont like bein on bad terms w/ my fellow ck5ers. I am the first person that will admit to bein worng and am always willing to learn new things.

It gets me frustrated sometimes when I have to troubleshoot OE.

Its most commonly the 0x800CCC0E error that I get.

I work for a tech support company in San Marcos, Tx. I do tech support for Centurytel, Alltel, Eastex, Etex, and Consolidated mainly. For now its all dial up calls but I will get trained shortly on DSL for those providors. We also take calls for a few others but i cant remember them right now.

17. CustomChevy

like i said in the pm i sent, no hate.

in my expierence 90% of the time 0x800CCC0E is some kind of email anti-virus scanner filtering messages and taking its sweet ass time.

The technical explaination is;

on slower systems .zip and other compressed binary attachments can take some time to run through the scan as its being downloaded from the server, and since almost every mail server has a timeout window, while the message is busy being scanned, the mail server times you out and kicks back 0x800CCC0E.

Normal fix is to disable email scanning (keeping in mind that any email you get becomes a file on your system and will be scanned again the second you try to access it). This can be done either in the Anti-virus program it self (in norton, open main norton window, click options, then email scanning and uncheck scan incoming), or its also common for the POP server setting in your client to be changed to localhost or 127.0.0.1 (which i'm sure is what you were refering to in your fist post about using the ISP's server).

hope that helps.

18. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

oh gawd nebie quoters???I feel so robbed....

19. CustomChevy

your innocence is mine ...

yeah forget i said that. TO BED!