Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Mid 80's Engine questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Big_B_Murphy, Jan 2, 2002.

1. Big_B_Murphy

Big_B_Murphy 1/2 ton status

Mid 80\'s Engine questions

What year did chevy go to the center bolt valve covers? Also when did they go to the serpentine belt setup? Is there any easy way(without yanking and disassembling) to check the block to see if this stuff was added to an older block. I am contemplating an auto to stick swap (TH700 to SM465) and I am reading that somewhere in the mid 80's chevy changed to balancing externally. What year did this happen?
    I am much more familar with Chevys of the 70's where everything was pretty much interchangeable. I had done this swap on a 77 K10 with no problems, so I am just curious what to look for on the flexplate as far as weights.
    The more I dig in to my 85 K5 project, the more it seems like a jumble of what someone had laying around.- probably why I got such a clean bodied truck so cheap.

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Re: Mid 80\'s Engine questions

The center bolt V-covers came in '87...... The serpentine came at the same time or around 88.....

Not sure on the externally balanded issue, but I thoguht all 350's were the same throughout the years... I think the 400's were the only engines that were different..

Mike

<font color=green>"My K5 is purdyur than your sister!"</font color=green>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/emmettology101>www.geocities.com/emmettology101</a>

3. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

I'm sure you can get an appropiately balanced flywheel for your setup. The only way to verify the block itself is to pull casting numbers, and cross them. I think that most trucks started getting the "center bolt" heads in 87-88... but I might be wrong.

As for the state of your truck, isn't everyone's truck "just want they have laying around"? [​IMG] My truck has so many different parts from so many trucks... I need a dozen manuals to keep up with everything!!! [​IMG][​IMG]

<font color=red>GOT MUD???</font color=red>
    My license plate reads:<font color=blue> 8 YR SUV</font color=blue>
    454/TH400/NP205 - 14BFF/D60/w/ 4.10s - 36" TSLs

4. shawnboy

shawnboy 1/2 ton status

I may be wrong but I think the serpentine belt arrived in 1989 and the centre bolt valve covors in 1987 or '88. I'm not sure about the balancing. You can get kits to do a serpentine install.
    Shawnboy.

<font color=red>If you are having too much fun it's probably illegal.</font color=red>

5. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

'87 Is when they switched to centerbolt. I think that is when they went to the 1pc rear main seal. That is when they started with the different flexplate/flywheels. The end of the crankshaft is round on the 1pc seal engines. I am not sure what weights they put on the flexplate/flywheel.

6. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

The 87 at my house has centerbolt valve covers and no serpentine belt.

350cid is internally balanced.

7. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

86 was the new one piece seal. You can use an 85 2-piece unit in an 86 with a different flexplate.

Brian
    Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!

8. 3car

3car 1/2 ton status

i had 2 88 k-1500's ,both were serpintine belted,i have an 87 caprice with v belts.

eatin'fords and shittin'dodges down in the sunshine state.

9. Big_B_Murphy

Big_B_Murphy 1/2 ton status

All thanks for all of the info. It is true that the only good truck is a truck that you build you self. I just happened to break one of my major rules about buying a truck that has been modified by a source that I did not know or trust.[​IMG] (The previous owner is now actually dead).[​IMG] I was initially bit when the supposedly rebuilt tranny went within two months of buying the truck. It is an 85 and the engine has both center bolt covers and serpentine belts. The previous owner even had the wrong cooling fan on the truck that was blowing air into the radiator.[​IMG] I just wish he was around to piece the puzzle together for me. Oh well nothing like a challenge.[​IMG]

I love the truck and bought it anyway. Like I said the body was too good to pass up for the price. (I grew up in the rust belt).

Thanks again for the info. I enjoy piecing the puzzle together as much as the finished product.

<font color=red> It is just as much fun to build it as it is to bash it</font color=red>

10. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

'87 on the center bolt valve covers, '88 on serpentine belts, &amp; '87 on 1 piece rear main seal. This is according to the Hollander interchange manual. 400 &amp; 454 are externally ballanced, everything else is internally ballanced. (Of regular production engines)

1 ton '87 Chevy SWB in the making!

11. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

all the one piece seals are external, they carry wieght on the flywheel = external

formerly 77chev