Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Mid-Bass Speaker?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Triaged, Oct 11, 2002.

1. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I am looking to have a system (in my 87 s-10 ext. cab) that will be able to play some good rock tunes and also be unobtrusive (ie. I don't want kick panels or large woffer boxes).

I already have a Pioneer 35Wx4 head unit
    These rear speakers
    and these fronts
    All in the stock locations. I will also sometime upgrade to MP3 head unit with some more power to handle the full range speakers.

What the system now lacks is some bass (who would have thought with such big speakers /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif )
    I have been thinking of puting something like some Image Dynamics CX64's in the doors and a small amp under the seat.

Do you think that is a good plan?
    If not what would make it better and why?
    Would some small free-air subs work better in the door?
    If so what would sugest?
    What exactally is the difference between a small free-air sub and a mid-bass speaker?

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Anybody?
    Buler?

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Dan,

So basically you already have a set of 4x6"s and a set of 4x10"s...

If it were me....I might look to find a set of 8" subs to fill out the bottom end. You can probably find something that could be adapted to a door config, and get some decent punchiness and lower bass than the existing speakers can provide. I think anything much smaller than that isn't going to really improve your low-end sound much....a 4x6" oval speaker isn't really all that different from a 5.5" or 6" round speaker in terms of sq. inches of cone displacement.

I think when most people refer to mid-basses vs. subs it is meant to define to working range of the speaker. A subwoofer is probably "all done" by around 120Hz....and loses efficiency quickly beyond that point. A mid-bass may not play quite as LOW, but has a more extended frequency range on the upper end so that it can be used to play up to the tweeter's crossover point.

/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

4. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Greg is correct in saying that the mid-bass is referring to crossover freq.

I think you would be much happier leaving the highs as you have them and adding a dedicated subwoofer. Such as one ten in the rear.

5. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Keep it simple man. Do you know how much work it would take to "properly" put some big speakers in the doors and get any kind of bass out of them. Crappy frequency response, RATTLES, fabricating, etc. Stay away from the doors and stay away from free air subs...they belong in the back of some cracksmokers 1980 Chevy Malibu. Free air subs want a trunk for air.
    Get a couple of 8's or a single 10 or 12 and a dedicated amp for it. Some of these new subs can fit in super small boxes. Then later you can add a small 4 channel amp for your fullrange speakers to help them keep up with the sub(s).

6. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all the sugestions guys.
    At first I was thinking of putting the mid-bass in the doors and if I didn't like it put a small sub or 2 in the back.

Now I (after you guys shot that down) guess I'm back to putting a sub or 2 in the back and going from there. I guess that would be the quickest way to get a full range of sound.

I want to keep it small and w/ good SQ (and reasonably cheep).

Any sugestions?

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

BozoWise runs a stereo shop, you might want to email him with your question for sub(s) and amp.