Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

mid seventies 5/4 ton Dodge D60 FE???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Longhorn4x4, Nov 17, 2002.

1. Longhorn4x4

Longhorn4x4 Registered Member

I posted this question before, but got no reply. I'm looking at several mid seventies Dodge 5/4 ton 4x4 trucks in the GSA auctions. But they don't look like 4x4 trucks. They do have a high ride height, but the front hubs look like non floating RE hubs. There are no hubs extending out of the front wheels at all, but they are 8 lug. I'm thinking a 5/4 ton 4x4 would have a Dana 60 front end. Are those trucks four wheel drive? Do they have D60 front ends? If so, can I swap one into my 72 K20? Anyone ever bought one? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I saw one and they're a screwed up version of a D60, non full float with dust caps on them, but drive axles. It wasn't something that I'd want to swap into anything, looked pretty messed up to me.

Bryan

3. Longhorn4x4

Longhorn4x4 Registered Member

Thanks Bryan. It looks like I could buy one REAL cheap, then again maybe not. I wonder if I could change out everything from the knuckles out. Maybe someone knows that for sure.

4. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

NO NO NO!!! Laketex is wrong on this one. Those are D44s. They run a flanged/bolted stub shaft. The 5/4 ton M880 is a 3/4 ton 4WD Dodge, kind of like the 5/4 ton M1009 is a 1/2 ton Blazer. The only one ton 5/4 tons are the M1008 K30 & the M715 Jeep-and that uses a closed knuckle, drum brake D60 front.

5. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Gotcha. I just assumed it was a D60 since it's a one ton, but that's a damn weird axle. And what the heck is the deal on those shafts? Flanged/bolted? Anyone got a pic? I wish I had taken one.

6. bigjbear

To further confuse you it also only uses 3 U-bolts. The give away is that it uses ball joints, not king pins. If you are looking a pic and don't see hubs its a D44, the D60s had hubs. Last IIRC the flange is bolted to the end of the shaft like an AMC 20 rear.

7. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

i have a 76 M880 with that setup in the front and it has a 60 in the rear, i also have a 77 M880 with 60's front and rear. the 76 has only 73,000 miles on it and it runs too good to yank the axles out of it, and the 77 has 1300 miles on it, and is like new. just thought id share /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

8. bigjbear

Cool do you know if the '77 came w/ the 60 front? Also is it still called an M880 w/ a 60 front, or is there another "M" truck to look for? I know very little about Dodges, just what I learnd in the last month or so, so I'm no expert. I am sure that that there were no hubless D60 fronts, though.

9. milspecjimmy

m880, m882, m890, m886. m1009? m1025. i think they all have 60' satleast in the rear. and as far as the 77 goes, this one has the 60 front. i am not sure if all 77's do or not. both of my trucks are M882's
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

10. milspecjimmy

M715 jeep's come with a 5 lug DANA 70 front and rear. and from personal experiance, i beat the poop out of my dodge when i was in high school trying to show off to my friends. that truck has taken every thing i have dished out to it. including attempting to drive through a 12 foot high snow pile in a mall parking lot. i say that because as fluffy as the pile looked it was frozen solid, the pile acted just like a ramp. and while 20 mph doesnt seem like a lot, it was enough speed to stand the dodge vertical, and when the rear bumper caught the top of the pile, it slammed the front end down hard enough to collapse the battery tray, and pop out both head lights. driven the truck ever since, and still use it to off road, and have never had an axle problem.

11. bigjbear

M1009 deff does not have a D60 rear, it has 10B f&r. Not all '77 M880s have D60 fronts, all I have looked at-including ambulances- have had D44s. Also, early 80s Dodges have CAD (center axle disconnect) D44s. The hunt continues.

12. milspecjimmy

i wasnt sure on the 1008/1009 my dad has a 1009 k5, but the 1008 p/u has 60 rears, not sure on fronts

13. bigjbear

No, the M1008 P/U has a D60 front, it has a FF14B rear.