Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Mid size tractor, whats your pick??

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by steve_kibbe, Oct 3, 2006.

?

Whats your pick??

1. John Deere

40.9%
  2. Kubota

45.5%
  3. Cub Cadet

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. New Holland

13.6%
  5. Ford

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

Not sure where to post it, so here we go.

I'm in the market for a 40-50hp new or newer tractor with 4wd and a loader.

What do y'all recomend, or what should I stay away from??

2. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Where is the Massey Ferguson choice? :confused:

3. broc944

broc944 1/2 ton status

I am fond of Allis Chalmers myself.

4. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

John Deere or Kubota
    i would choose John Deere if you can afford it though.

5. KGsK5

KGsK5 1/2 ton status

just got a new holland 125 at work. little skid steer. havnet had it for long but im impressed. friend of mine runs bobcats at his work and loves them.

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

we have a 20hp Kubota B21, 4x4, loader and backhoe. That thing is great. Dad uses it for his business ALL the time, and for snow removal, its the ****. Just needs a slightly larger bucket.

7. yoshisv

yoshisv 1/2 ton status

John deere or kubota would be your best choice. We did have a 4030 kubota (42hp), And loved it. All we use now is john deere.

8. nutsthename

nutsthename 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

My brother sells John Deere and Kubota. He says they're both good tractors, just comes down to which one is more comfortable for the individual. John Deere also has a higher resale than Kubota, but that only comes into play if you plan on upgrading later. One problem I have been seeing with some of the John Deere tractors are the plastic hoods tend to break after time, while I believe the Kubotas have sheet metal.

9. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

New holland tc 45 boomer series,,,, ended up about 5 k less than a john deere.. and newer technology as of 3 years ago.. not sure now.. Ive had both.. john deere parts are outrageously expensive... but I do love their mid size tractor backhoe.... new holland cant even compete with it

I used land pride implements instead of new holland... that also saved about 5k

Boomer 45 4 x 4 stick with quick steer option (almost 1500),shift 8 speed/ 3 range with fiberglas top, spark arrestor, heavy duty 60 inch bucket, quick attach implement setup
    72 inch gannon with top and tilt, with rippers
    land pride heavy duty version pto auger... 4 6 8 12 16 inch augers with carbide bits. power down cylinder
    4k pound quick attach forks
    60 inch single shank ripper
    72 inch heavy duty pto brush hog
    6 foot heavy duty rake (which I probably use more than anything,,, the forks take a second..)

36k out the door

It has performed flawlessly... built roads/brushed and cleared 30 acres...I use it way harder than a non commerical tractor should be used.. I really need a cat for brush clearing but Im not afraid to scratch the fiberglas.. Im amazed its as tough as it is-
    I owned a 445c series before this tractor.. that was a commercial 4x 4 grading tractor... Id get another but they are over 50k now

10. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

11. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Fock John Deere......................

12. eclipse

eclipse 1/2 ton status

don't know anything about small Deeres, but I run large frontend loaders at work that our Deeres and I like em.

13. BulldogK5

BulldogK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

You should consider a Kioti as well as the Mahindra. I purchased a Mahindra 3510 last year for use on the timber farm. This is mainly for clearing, grading and cutting. The Mahindra company was started in India with the designs and people from International Harvester. That should say something for the company, that and they have been in business for something like 60 years or more.

On the list you have there are a lot of great items each with their pros and cons. Most JD's have a Yanmar motor. The same tractor can be purchased under the Yanmar brand for a considerable discount. The Kubota has a great following and many long lasting tractors. We have a neighbor with one that is almost 25 years (I think) old with no problems. If I was in the market for just one on the list it would probably be the New Holland even though it is owned and made by Ford. It has a tighter turning radius than the others I believe too.

14. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I like the Kubota personally.

15. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

Ive never heard ANYTHING detrimental to kubotas. They are supposed to be really reliable too.

16. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

overpriced??...

I was looking at tractors a while back (when I still had money!)..I looked at a lot of them--Kubota,John Deere,etc..all seemed to be way too pricey for what you got--15 grand with no attachments,or just a bucket loader,seemed like a lot of money for "Joe Homeowner" to pay to mow his lawn and be able to move some dirt around!.. I will say the guys I know who bought Kubota's are very happy with them,and same goes for those with "Bobcats"..especially the diesel powered rigs..

I bought a 1800 dollar Ford 600 Series tractor from the fifties,used it 5 years,then sold it at a slight profit..looking back,I could have just PAID someone who already had a tractor to do what I did with mine ,and had a grand left over!--and would not have had to buy a new rear tire and rim for the Ford,or do all the maintinence!..but I liked having the loader,made lifting heavy stuff in my pickup bed a breeze..wish I still had it sometimes..

Anyone here own a "Northstar" 4x4 tractor from Northern Tool??--or one of its Chinese clones they sell locally for about 8500 bucks,WITH a bucket loader??..they look tempting,but I wonder just how durable they really are,or if parts can be had quickly and easily..I'd prefer a 4x4 tractor--my Ford was easy to get stuck,and its turning radius was comparable to a tractor trailer!--no power steering sucked too!..

I passed on a "Satoh" tractor a guy had at a yard sale for 3 grand a few years ago--it looked rugged,had a 3 cylinder mitsubushi diesel--but only had a bush hog mower,no other attachments..I feared getting parts might be difficult..same deal with a few other "imports" I saw..plus it was 2wd..

Best deal I made was getting a 1961 Fordson "Super Major" Diesel loader/backhoe for 500 bucks about 7 years ago!..it ran and worked,but needed the motor to be rebuilt,and cylinders re-packed..my brother bought it from me after I did the work I wanted it to do,he rebuilt the motor,and sold it a year later for 5500 bucks!..that thing had balls,I yanked a huge pine tree stump 2' in diameter straight up out of the ground with the hoe like nothing!..I should have kept it!..:doah:

17. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

ones like theese?...

Saw these on "Craigslist"...

sale2105502424@craigslist.com

You'll have to log onto craigslist,and type in the sale #...I can't "link" it like I'd like too..somday, might just learn how to use this F'n computer!..

Sounds pretty cheap for a 4x4 20 hp tractor!..and the loader isn't that outrageous a price either...:crazy:

18. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

northern stuff.. and many of the chinese clones are junk... parts are hard to get .. warranty work is non existant... unless you want heartaches I would steer clear of them.... if you look at how they are made you will see they arent finished well.. are clunky... and down on real power... they are 8500 for a reason... and thats after bringing them from all the way around the world

youre right about the 8n/9n/600 series,, they are nice little tractors.. without 4 x 4 and without a bucket.. but if you just need to brushog or do minor scraping they are fine..plentiful. parts are cheap.. buckets on them are about worthless.. they arent designed to pickup any weight...

kubotas are also nice.. tough tractors... and better priced than deeres

up here there must be a bunch of rich farmers because deere pricing is sky high

19. nutsthename

nutsthename 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

John Deere is also trying to force the small dealers out in favor of the dealers carrying the Ag line.

20. k2mslskier

k2mslskier 1/2 ton status

CAT or Case....preferably CAT.