Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Mid to high end shocks--Whats everyone running for shocks?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SCOOBYDANNN, Jun 21, 2006.

1. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

I don't really want to hear Ranchos, deutch tech, procomps. etc, as my last ones Deutch Tech, spit ther guts out on my last outing:eek1:

I am looking more toward the mid to high end

Bilsteins 5125. 5150
    Sway away
    King
    Fox
    ETC...

how do you run them, do they work for you, do you wish you had gotten better.

what kind of suspension are you running? stock, lift,

do you like to haul butt or just crawl.

FOR ME-----

I am mainly a crawler, BUT my friends have fairly fast setup desert runner/crawlers--not too fast, but fun. and I want to play too.

whats everyone running--and if you stayed with factory valving.

thanks

Dan

2. pin_it_to_win_it

pin_it_to_win_it Registered Member

i like my bilstiens

im like u, i like to crawl and my frends are in to desert racing. im running the bilstien 5125 on my 1998 chevy tahoe with a 6" rcd lift they seem to work good for both crawlin and the desert. my frend is going to be running the bilstien 5150s on his baja bug if he ever gets it goin ill let u know how they do.

3. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

ive heard really good things about the bilstein 5150's. for 100 bucks a corner it aint too bad. thats what im gonna run.

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'm planning on the BBCS 15" travel montube shocks to go along with the Alcan's going under the truck. I'm hoping to be able to do some stuff at speed with that set-up too. No desert here, but plenty of forest service roads...sometimes 25 or 30 miles of it just to get to the trailhead.

Currently have some absolutey fuXored Rancho RS5000's. One may actually still have oil in it. :D

rene

5. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

I will have kings but for now I just have cheapies. For what its worth I think you would be happy with any of the top end manufacturers you mentioned. It will just come down to how you valve them for your application. Revalving a shock isn't all that tough or that expensive. I would say buy wichever of those listed you can get the best deal on and then spend the time to get them dialed in.

Only thing is crawling and high speed are on opposite sides of the spectrum.

6. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Been looking into this for the next build of the FunBuggy.... which I'll be calling the "GoBuggy"...! :D

Fox and King are on top. Can't go wrong just hard to pay for. SAW and Rad-Flo next. Ranchos are probably worth what you pay.

How deep to dig... :dunno:

Marv

7. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

Well to be honest I probably should have posted this before I ordered anything, but whats done is done.

I did my research before hand and came up with some SAW's for the rear coilover ready and some 5150's for the front (backordered till next week)

I completly understand this and also the limits of my truck and will drive accordingly. But I do want to go a little fast.

Marv--I looked into the Rad-flo's and wassn't terribly impressed, that and they were about the same price as the SAW's is what sway'd me away from them (no pun intended)

I also looked at the BBCS and the fact that the 5150's were the same price and the fact the BBCS were more valved towards crawlin also steered me away.

Im gettin closer to finishing my truck so we'll see what happens.

8. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

another vote for BBCS-15s. They have been specifically designed for leaf-sprung wheelin' rigs. Plenty of travel, built in bump stops etc. Good shocks. $100 a corner.

j

9. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

I am not convinced of that when it comes to dampers. If you're trying to build a single purpose machine then it would pay to get a damper already valved for that use. For a multipurpose machine I don't think you can go wrong with any of the deflective disc type dampers (King, SAW, Bils, Fox, etc.).
    The absolute key is going to be the tune and positioning of those dampers. You can get piston speed sensitive damping from any of the above.

For an off-the-shelf damper I think it's hard to beat the Bils 51XX series, but you're basically stuck with whatever valving they come with. If you move up to any of the other brand's offerings or the Bils 7100's then you can tune the valving.

Those valve stacks have high speed, mid speed, and low speed regions, and you can tune each w/o much affecting the others.

10. jayweb

jayweb 1/2 ton status

school me on what bbcs is? link?

11. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/product.php?productid=84&cat=64&page=1

[​IMG]
    Description:

-15"s of shock travel
    -High pressure Nitrogen charged mono-tube
    -Internal floating piston (IFP) that dissipates heat more effectively for increased seal life and durability
    -Digressive piston (both comp & reb sides)
    -Valved specifically for rockcrawling
    -Durable powdercoated finish for the best corrosion resistance
    -Nitro Steel shock shafts won’t chip or flake like chrome
    -Polyurethane bushings
    -*NEW* Upgraded Polyurethane bottomout bumper with Alumnium bumpcap
    -Welds done with robotic projection welder for accuracy and quality
    -Tube ends are rolled closed for leak-free construction
    -Large, 46mm piston for more consistent damping
    -Viton seal and low friction piston rod bearing for long life and no leaks
    -Available For Both Leaf Spring And Coil Spring Applications

Travel Extended Length Collapsed Length 15" 36.43" 21.46" 13" 32.69" 19.51" 11" 28.09" 17.11" Weight: 8.00 lbs

12. jayweb

jayweb 1/2 ton status

thanks - they look good

13. jayweb

jayweb 1/2 ton status

IT says they are valved for crawling - any idea how they feel on the street, since I will have to drive to and from the trails?