Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Midland 79-290 any good?

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by DieselDan, Feb 6, 2003.

1. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Subject sums it up. I kinda like the the top-of-the-line Midland. It has all the bell and whistles I'm looking for (USB, LSB, NOAA, night visabilty). Does any run one or have any experience with one? I just don't want to get burned if they're a problem unit. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'm not a big fan of Midlands. Check out RCI and Galaxy

3. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Ah, unless you can tell me WHY you're not a big fan (of Midland) this doesn't help. Although I like the Ranger 969WX, I'ld like to get something alittle visable at night. And something that doesn't look like it belongs in a DeSoto... /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

4. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

The 79-290 is a pretty good little radio. As a matter of fact they can also be modified pretty easily for extra channels like all of the big export radios have. They are in a compact chassis so they fit in a whole lot of places and they also use dual "finals" so it's capable of considerable amounts of power.
    They are also made with surface mount boards so they hold up a little better to the abuse a radio would face than some of the other big names in radio.

The old ones used to have problems with the receiver being noisy but from what I hear that has been resolved as of a year or two ago.

If it has the features you're looking for and you don't mind the price tag then I say go for it.

5. got_mud

got_mud 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Subject sums it up. I kinda like the the top-of-the-line Midland. It has all the bell and whistles I'm looking for (USB, LSB, NOAA, night visabilty). Does any run one or have any experience with one? I just don't want to get burned if they're a problem unit. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

did you ever decide on this? i have an extra one that i would part with if you are still in the market.

6. prerunner1982

prerunner1982 1/2 ton status

got mud, how much for it? any mods?

7. got_mud

got_mud 1/2 ton status

as it sits right now, i am into it for about 400. i have most of my receipts. its been unlocked for everything. freeband use around here is limited and i am going for my tech license to be legal for the weather net and search and rescue groups, so its not a true necessity anymore. regular cb 11 meter is 26.965-27.405. she'll do 25.615-28.305 in 11 meter freeband mode. switch over to 10 meter, assuming your licensed, and she'll throw 28.000-29.710 with upwards of 55 clean watts. had it maxed out and metered a 34 watt dead key but the tx audio was crap. modulation was all over the place. turned it back down and now peaks at about 55 watts. its got all of the bells and whistles. am/fm/usb/lsb/wx/blah blah blah. on ten meter it shot a good line to jamaica when the tech had it last. i have the original box and all the trimmings. make me an offer if you are interested.

8. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    had it maxed out and metered a 34 watt dead key

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmmm what's that smell?

could it be burnt transistors?!?? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

9. got_mud

got_mud 1/2 ton status

hence that last 100$ bill i threw at it... /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

10. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Ahh, $400 alittle more than I was looking for. Mistakes don't come very cheap do they /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

The stock 79-290 is about all I can afford.

11. got_mud

got_mud 1/2 ton status

as with everything in life, you never get what you invest. if you are interested in it i'll send it your way for 275 or 325 if you want the new road king mic i have for it. i'm on the fence with the mic, i can have it rewired for my grant and make use of it, its still NIB.

12. got_mud

got_mud 1/2 ton status

let me know if you are interested, there is a swap meet coming up at the local ham shack and i fear i will up and trade it for something else that i don't need and can't afford. i'm weird that way.

13. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

I'll have to pass. 'Just dropped alot of coin for some new 39" tires. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

14. got_mud

got_mud 1/2 ton status

cool, no biggee. may get a nice dual band home unit to hook up to the base antennae that the wife thinks is a flag pole. can't wait for the s to hit the fan on that one.