Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

midland 79-290 help!

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by wraenking, Oct 2, 2006.

1. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

well i bought it last year on ebay and finally went to install it today and the lcd screen is screwed up. i tried jumping the connectors in the back and it seemed to work fine for a while, turn it off, then back on and its screwed up again. i am hopiung its something stupid. any ideas?

if not i might buy a new magnum 257

2. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

The removable screen is a PITA. If its not in just right, mine blanks out. Try cleaning the contacts and ease it in. Make sure that it is properly seated and the "release" button is all the way out. If that does not work, do what I did to mine - smack it.

3. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

lol, thanks for the tip. ill try it tomorrow. what pain, but i got it real cheap.

4. cbbr

Once you get it in correctly, its a great CB. I could do without that feature though.

5. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

well, i got ther to work good , or so i thought.

i got the display to look fine, so i hooked up a 102" whip and a ball mount, but when i hit the transmit button, it would switch the the weather band?

its acting wierd

any ideas?

6. cbbr

The face plate refused to stay on mine this week as I am prepping for a trip. As simply as I can put it - and I know no other way - I took the top off and there is a small spring that connects to a pivot that holds the face plate on. The hook that holds the spring onto the pivot was broken. I put the plate on, pushed the pivot in to attach th plate solidly and super glued it in place.

As to why it would switch to the weather band, I have no idea except to say that either your face plate is mis-aligned or there is a connection crossed in the radio itself.

7. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

i will take it apart and look at it again. if no go, i will buy a new radio. unfortunately, not the 79-290 again, and no detatch faceplates lol

thanks for the help

8. cbbr

I love the radio, but the "security" face plate is a POS. Good luck.

9. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

ok, i went to radio shack and bought the cobra classic that a lot of people seem to like to even see if i can get any signal.

1st odd thing, was i tried to use the mic from the midland and the cobra would not turn on with that mic,. i switched to the cobra mic, and voila, it worked.

i didnt hear any people, but on one of the weather channels, i got the weather, a little staticy. is that normal?

so, any chance that the midland mic is fing up the midland radio?

thanks