Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

midmount fuel tank

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by lurtch-k20-(78-90), Feb 1, 2007.

1. lurtch-k20-(78-90)

lurtch-k20-(78-90) Registered Member

I have a long bed '78 chev w/ 6" lift. Has anyone seen or heard of mounting a suburb fuel tank between the rails in front of the rear axle, instead of behind, leaving room for under bed rear winch, or spare tire:haha: (yea, right)

I am in te process of buying a 80's model suburban fuel tank, to gitrid of the outside frame tank (I don't like the idea of having 25 gal of push water underneth me and some rice bunner ruttin under my rig on the drivers side), so i was thinking of doing this, but i'm wondering about clearance issues driveline, axle. I might just git everthing, mok it up, and check for my self, but was wondering if anyone has tried or seen this. Thanks

2. k204dr

k204dr 1/2 ton status

how much lift you gonna run? if its lifted enough, i've seen the saddle tanks used on the inside of the frame, but it wont work without alot of lift.

3. lurtch-k20-(78-90)

lurtch-k20-(78-90) Registered Member

6 inch suspention, 4 inch body

4. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You will have to cut a hole in the bed to do it like this but this was really easy. The bottem of the tank is about 1" lower than the frame rails. Any further back and you would have to basically make two tanks to clear the driveshaft

middle gas tank.jpg

5. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

:eek1: