Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

"midtail" th350 length

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by scotty85, Jan 23, 2002.

1. scotty85

scotty85 Registered Member

\"midtail\" th350 length

i have an 87 suburban with a 700r.it has never shifted right,and finally quit going into reverse alltogether.

i can get a th350 from a friend. is the midtail close enuff in length to the 700r that i shold be able to use my stock drivesahft?

anything else that would keep this from being a simple in and out experience?

rebuilding or replacing the 700r is not an option.i have never been a fan of this tranny.

i have an sm465 that wil eventually go in,but i dont have the $$ right now to purchase clutch parts,and dont have the time to fabricate what linkage pieces im missing,and to engineer a driveshaft that will hook up to the 1 ton yoke onthe back of it.

i figure a midtail th350 should be quick,easy,cheap way to get my truck back on the road.

thanx for any advice...

scotty

2. scotty85

scotty85 Registered Member

Re: \"midtail\" th350 length

well,i can now answer my own question. the midtail th350 is 31" long. i completed the swap this weekend. i was able to reuse the stock driveshaft by sliding the carrier bearing as far back as he would go.i was able to use the stock shift linkage,cooling lines,and the speedo cable hooker right up.only thing i had to do was make a small plate to bolt the tranny mount to. it wanted to be 2.5-3" further forward.making the little plate was by far the easier option over moving the xmxmber forward.

hope this info might help someone else in the future...

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

Re: \"midtail\" th350 length

31 was the longest i thought ? i have never seena th350 longer than 31 5/8" the shorty were 28 5/8" plus or minus 1/8" or 1/16"

good luck

run it til it breaks, fix it, and break it again!