Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Midwest Spring K5 Thing 2003 - UPDATE We've picked a Date!

Discussion in 'Midwest Region' started by BIGJ, Nov 22, 2002.

1. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

Re: Midwest Spring K5 Thing 2003

Sure, I can lead the trail ride. I had planned on scouting out a good set of trails to spread out over Sat. & Sun. anyway so we could get an early start. My suggestion for the weekend of the run is the first weekend in April. Being there at the same time as the rockcrawling comp. would be cool, but that usually means extra traffic at the park, and crowded trails.

The dent in my door is from a tree on a 4+ trail that has since been cut down /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif, not by me though /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I don't care much about the body on my blazer anymore though, so as long as I can get it back on the trailer at the end of the day, I'll try to run everything I can.

The trail ratings are located here. I would say that the 1-5 ratings are accurate, maybe even not high enough for some of them. The first two are stock friendly. 1's are no problem for a stock jeep. Most of the 2's are wide enough for a hummer to run them SCRATCH free. I wouldn't attempt any of the 3's without at least a rear locker b/c most of them are steep, with loose dirt and gravel. You can expect the possibility of body damage on some of the 4's and 5's. There are no bypasses, so if you find out you don't want to run a trail, the only ways out are to continue on, or turn around. These trails aren't run much with fullsizes, so they can get really tight. The damage may be as little as a good tree rash line down the side of the truck, or as much as my door /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I plan on leaving the doors at home for this run /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif. Also, make sure you bring a spare, cut tires are not uncommon.

I would like for everyone to be able to see some of what the park has to offer, so if the majority wants to run the 2's and 3's we can do that, and then take a smaller group on the 4's and 5's. Maybe even a night run if there is enough interest. I'll post some pics when I make another run out there.

BIGJ

2. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Also, make sure you bring a spare, cut tires are not uncommon.

[/ QUOTE ]
    The link you left for us said the park requires spares (FOR ALL GUIDED TRAIL EVENTS). Guess that means I really need to get a rim for that tire I've been carrying around all this year... RIGHT TODD? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Can't wait for this run! The fuel injection will be done, and with a few new tires mounted up, my rig should be ready for action! I want to knock my level of wheeling up a few notches... I think I've been holding back from the real fun stuff this year. I'm ready to get serious now! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif No more whining about body damage for me. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif Bring it on!

Oh yea - by the way boys, I think the wife is coming on this run! This will be her first run ever. She hasn't even come out with me to the local places before...

Along those same lines... where are there places to stay out there? With that wheeling event that same weekend, will we need to worry about making advanced reservations? Neil? What do you say, Sir? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

Thanks,
    -Dan

3. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

That's a good point Dan. There are plenty of hotels in Hot Springs, but the campgrounds at the park may be full with another event there. By the way, the campgrounds at the park are VERY PRIMITIVE, no a/c or running water as of last week. They are planning improvements but I don't know when they will be done.

At first I thought the mandatory spare tire thing was a bunch of BS, but after one trip out there, my TSL sidewalls were pretty chewed up. No flats tho.

BIGJ

4. KRAZIE87K5

the campgrounds at the park are VERY PRIMITIVE, no a/c or running water

[/ QUOTE ]
    Thats the exact reason why the wife will require we stay in a hotel! Since its going to be late March... I'm guessing its still going to be pretty cold at night (and maybe even during the day), so I'd rather have a nice warm place to park my fugly mug after a hard day of wheeling! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Anyone else plan to stay in a hotel/motel? Any specific place we plan to gang up on? /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I think it was about this time one year ago I was making my reservations for the Disney run... so lets get our ducks in a row!

Last, I have no problem going out to the park over the weekend that the ProRock Competion is there, but I don't know how much of MY wheeling time I want to spend *watching* other guys wheel. I just want to make sure that I go home with my "fill" of wheeling! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

-Dan

5. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

I will be camping, we are in the process of buying a pull behind 18 foot camper which will have heat, shower and cooking facility. I would be happy to post any hotel information on my site for you all, but I will need someone to research this for me.

About the competition weekend. I am sure traffic will be high because of this competition, but with the park that size, our small group should be fine. We do not have to stop for the competition, it would be an option for those who want to take a lunch break there and check out the pros. Of course, I am open to changing the date to the first weekend in April - the later the better for me. Give me more input - this helps me to plan exactly how you want this run to be. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

6. KRAZIE87K5

I will be camping, we are in the process of buying a pull behind 18 foot camper which will have heat, shower and cooking facility.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Thats not camping... thats dragging a motel to where you need one! Maybe Jeff knows of a hotel/motel in the area?

As for the date of the event, I like the idea of going that weekend. I just want to make sure that the other event doesn't get in the way of ours. Will you have a magazine there this year? What do they thing of having it at the same time?

And PLEASE - do not let my voice be the only one to influence the plans for the spring run. I hope some others chime in on this soon.

-Dan

7. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Motel? Geesh, I never got a tent and am still planning on sleeping in the front seat. Where else can you turn a key and get insta-heat and keep everyone awake at the same time?

8. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

Re: Midwest Spring K5 Thing 2003 *DELETED* *DELETED*

Post deleted by blazer72

9. OFFRDK5

It wasn't a fair fight. I was wacked on propane exhaust. Kinda hard to win when you are down already!!

10. KRAZIE87K5

UM... WOW...

Now back to the original question... does anyone out there know where I can find a place to stay where maybe a few other CK5ers will be? Hate to be the only one there with a big ugly rig in the parking lot... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

-Dan

11. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

Not yet I dont know if we will be camping for this outing or not.

12. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

I talked to Layne last night and we may have a bit of a stumbling block on the March 29th Date. He cannot make it that weekend. I would like to make this an event that most all of our previous attendees will be there as well as new people. I propose we look into the two April Dates from this point on. If you guys don't mind, I will skip the Competition weekend date and take the next highest vote for the Date. I really want Layne to make it to this run.

13. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

Whats worse, your big ugly rig in the lot or that ugly mug in the hotel? /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

14. backyardbuilt

backyardbuilt 1/2 ton status

That sucks march is out wakeboard&amp;4x4er is pregnant and expecting in april so he will probably not be going I hope to have my truck done by then, if not I would like to find an open seat so I can meet more of you guys.

15. KRAZIE87K5

HAHAHA.... Haha.... Ha... ha. Thats not funny you jerk.

-Dan

16. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

wakeboard&amp;4x4er is not pregnant his wife is, THough he does look it. I had already voted as did some others why dont you clear the pole and start over Mudzer.

17. thebigdaddyof2

thebigdaddyof2 1/2 ton status

The link you left for us said the park requires spares (FOR ALL GUIDED TRAIL EVENTS). Guess that means I really need to get a rim for that tire I've been carrying around all this year... RIGHT TODD?

[/ QUOTE ]

What kind of guy carries a spare tire and no rim...um, I mean wheel?
    If you buy an extra wheel, that spare might do ya some good!

On the event date, I would prefer an April weekend.

18. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

It should have been burned annyway!

19. KRAZIE87K5

/forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

-Dan

20. OFFRDK5

Any updates?