Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

mig or tig or ????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by manyblazers, Apr 8, 2003.

1. manyblazers

manyblazers Registered Member

Thinking of buying a welder of some kind. PLanning on using it for body work and general welding of cracked frames and what not. What is a good type of welder to get for a do it yourselfer in the driveway kind of guy? Looking for something not too expensive. Thanks for any help.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Don't think you'll find TIG "cheap" at all, but from what I've seen, it's better used for real "precise" and specific applications.

Apparently in the hands of a trained body man, the TIG is the way to go for body panels, but for most people, MIG is the all around workhorse, and not too much.

You can buy MIG welders that can't use gas (how is it MIG then? lol) for fairly cheap, and use flux core wire, or you can buy decent MIG welders that will work with gas or flux core for a fair amount more, depending on brand.

3. dhdescender

dhdescender 1/2 ton status

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada - Eh.
    A TIG (GTAW) machine can be used with AC or DC Stick (SMAW) welding.

Bear In mind, TIG is an art, and takes years to become competent at it. I'm on my third year of experience, mainly specializing in aluminum. it can be the best way to get a structual weld with the least amount of Heat Affected Zone (HAZ) and distortion.

www.millerwelds.com
    www.lincolnelectric.com

4. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

I'd say go with the MIG . A TIG is really only for the homeowner if you do aluminum. A gas (MIG) wire feed welder would probobly be best for you if you can afford it. If you can't then get a gasless and use flux cored wire. When I am welding outside with my gas MIG I use flux cored wire in addition to the gas, and it gives me real nice welds. Using just gas with regular wire outside can cause the shielding gas to get blown away by the wind, and even a small breeze. Sears sells a nice gas MIG for around 500, then all you need is a bottle and you are good to go. This is just my experience with welding anyway, /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. ratlover

ratlover 1/2 ton status

If I had unlimited funds I would buy a TIG. You can do anything with em. I dont think TIG is too hard to learn but I did a bunch of oxy welding so I probably was able to pick it up faster than someone with no experience.

More than likely MIG is the way to go for you. IMO Dont buy a century or anything like that(I think century makes sears stuff). Get one with gas!! I have a spool of flux cored wire so I can weld without gas if I am welding outside and am having probs with my shielding gas getting carried away(lots of tarps and such usually solves this problem but sometimes not)but gas definatly makes a better/cleaner/easier weld. I also wouldnt cheap out and get straight CO2, get a 75%25% mix, much nicer/easier welds. I have a Miller 130 and love it. Its a 110 weldeder(I dont have acess to 220 /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif soI had to go with 110) Lincoln makes a deccent MIG as does hobart. Get one from a local welding shop you can deal with though, they will be a great asset if you need repairs or if you need some advice on welding.

6. JIMs70K25

JIMs70K25 1/2 ton status

I just bougth a Lincoln 100HD from Home Depot for $325, The kit to convert to gas shielding is another $100. It came with two spools of flux core wire(1 lb and a free 10lb), book, video and face shield. I've been practicing and have done a few small fix-up jobs.

7. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

Go to TSC, get a hobart handler 175, get a bottle and be done with it. They sell the welder, cart, regulator, and auto darkening helmet for like 650. It is a 220, you probably would not be happy with a 110.

8. ratlover

ratlover 1/2 ton status

I have never had a problem with penetration on my 110 miller. Granted I wish I had a bigger unit and I would have bought a 220 if I had the juice but for your general home deal my miller has plenty of ass. It will weld frames no problem. Go much heavier than a frame and I need to do some joint prep and maybe make a multiple pass but if you have to settle for a 110 it will be fine.

9. fauxshox

fauxshox Registered Member

MIG- easier to learn and can do just about anything you will ever run across, and yes even aluminum ( but not as pretty as TIG). Buy a 220 volt machine. Can't go wrong with either a Miller or Lincoln.
    Richard