Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

MIG or TIG

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dontoe, Jan 20, 2005.

1. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have an old stick welder. I'm looking at getting a small wire feed welder for sheet metal and small stuff. What do I want? TIG or MIG. What are the differences and which do I want? Maybe max of $500.00 to spend. I have 220 Vac but 110 Vac would be more convenient. I think I saw an under-hood 12 Vdc once in a magazine a few years back.

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Your not going to get a TIG welder for $500. Plus you have to know how to TIG weld to do it. It is totally different then stick welding. If you can stick weld then you can MIG weld. Get a MIG welder that will run gas. For welding sheetmetal you will want to run gas with .023 solid wire. You need to be able to adjust the settings way down too so you don't blow holes in it.

Harley

3. big jimmy 91

big jimmy 91 1/2 ton status

Go for the mig , tig is nice but not needed for most fab work

The old saying you get what you pay for comes to mind , but I have been spoiled at work by high dollar welders

Bigger is better , get the best you can reasonably afford
    These are just my thoughts...

4. dontoe

5. big jimmy 91

big jimmy 91 1/2 ton status

I think that machine would be ok for light duty use

20% duty cycle is kind of poor but if your not mass production welding ,who cares

Being capable of mild ,alum. ,stainless welding is good

6. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

i have the hobart 140 unit . it runs on 110 20amp circet. it ROCKS . it will weld the hell out of anything i need and about your price range. to bad you dont live closer . i have a inside contect at a supply store and i got my unit for about 125 less the retail price. its the best money i ever spent. p.s. its the off brand of miller, and some of the components say miller on them.

7. gmchevy

gmchevy Registered Member

If you plan to do any welding outdoors will be better off running flux cored wire. Any breeze will blow your gas.

8. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I don't know anything about TIG, but MIG is very easy to learn. I'm not great by any means, but I am getting better and it was very easy to get started.

9. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

a mig welder can do everything a tig can and its easier. They have aluminum/steel mig welders for about 600.

10. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Yes, MIG, like everyone said. A TIG probablly wouldnt be needed. Although, I do like TIG welding more then MIG.

11. gmchevy

gmchevy Registered Member

i have a lincolin 100 amp set up for flux cored, runs off 110, and it will handle 1/4 inch no prob. I also have a hobart 250 with gas in case the little one just can't burn it. You can get a 100amp mig at lowes or home depot for about $450. honestly, unless your going to do it for a living that will be all you need.

12. dontoe

99% Inside

I'm gonna have a 30X30 steel building built before spring (Lord willing) and all welding will be inside. Can I get the $450.00 welder and upgrade to aluminum welding capability later? And isn't the gas one better?

13. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Most wire feed machines have a kit available to be converted to gas (even the $150 harbor freight ones). All you need for aluminum is the special aluminum wire and pure argon shielding gas. TIG is over rated. It is nice but totally useless on mild steel thicker than .095" There is a kit for the lincon (sp) buzz box stick welder machine. It will convert the machine into a TIG machine.

14. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

mig without a doubt.

15. rusty_82

rusty_82 Registered Member

I have a millermatic 175 MIG and a Synchrowave 180SD Tig and when working on trucks all your gonna use is the MIG, and mig will not do anything TIG will do. My tig can weld steel, aluminum, copper, stainless, magnesium and titanium.
    -Stew

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Agreed 100%, this is what I have, paid less than $300 for it used shipped to the door on the internet and it is absolutely flawless. I have even welded 1" plate with it in multiple passes with flux core wire.

MIG will do everything I WANT to do that TIG will. TIG makes prettier welds and will weld stupid crap like stainless, aluminum, etc. I don't care as I only weld mild steel and the MIG I have does EVERYTHING I have wanted it to do, to date.