Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Mig welders

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bam bam k5, Nov 1, 2005.

1. bam bam k5

bam bam k5 1/2 ton status

Has anyone used the Clarke brand mig welders. looking at getting one of the 180EN 220volt 180amp version. any advice would be helpfull. thanks

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i have the 130E, i would have gone with the 180EN if i had 220 in the garage at the time. the only thing i don't like about it is the gun is short compared to the top brands, i think its like 6'. i have to have the welder fairly close and seems like im tripping over it.

the only problem ive had with it is the polarity was reversed from the factory. it came with 2 lb of flux core but the polarity was set for solid core, then when i put solid core in it i switched it. i could never get it to weld like it should. then i noticed it and put it the correct way, and welds alot better.

its a great welder for the price.

3. botboy

botboy 1/2 ton status

I can't help but think that a used MM210 would be a better buy...not a big clarke fan at all.

(but then again, my current setup is an engine driven 250A lincoln ranger W/LN-8 feeder & tweco mig gun)

Also, it would help us out quite a bit if you were specific about what you plan on doing with it - most small migs are more than adaquate for doing bodywork, but if you're thinking about doing frames/suspension and other "serious" stuff you are probably expecting way too much from the equipment you are thinking about buying

4. crazyhole812

crazyhole812 1/2 ton status

i second that, go with a miller or at least a lincoln

5. jays68yak

jays68yak 1/2 ton status

I learned on a 100en clarke. Save your money and time and buy a miller or lincoln off the bat. I know have a second hand 125 lincoln. WAY happier with it. The gun is more comfy, the cable flexs easier and better. You can just do way more with it. Also the local welding supply place has lincoln parts. To get clarke parts you have to call them. I had to replace a few gun related parts when I had mine.

6. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

After doing a lot of comparison shopping, I found Home Depot has a very good deal on a Lincoln 175 model.

$599
    THREE-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY
    thru Nov 9 > Add to Shopping List

175HD
    • 30-175 AMP output
    • 208/230-volt single phase power
    • Welds mild steel up to 1/2" thick
    • 12"Hx9 3/4"Wx16 1/2"D
    INCLUDES: Adjustable gas regulator and hose kit for argon-mixed gases, MIG wire, flux-cored wire, contact tips, handshield, instructional video and adjustable wire spool spindle

[​IMG]

7. gzzgfw

gzzgfw 1/2 ton status

I've got a 110v mig Clarke unit. I don't use gas any more just flux core. It's good for small stuff and sheet metal. The 220v version will be better. The Clarke is good for our home stuff, occasional use. I wouldn't buy it for everyday. -Mark