Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Mig ??

Discussion in 'The Tool Shed' started by lugnut, Jul 27, 2006.

1. lugnut

lugnut 1/2 ton status

I have a small Lincoln welder that I use for sheet metal. It welds flux or mig. I ran out of wire and since mig wire is less than half the price of flux I figgered I would get a tank and run the mig wire. It welded fine with the flux wire (.30) and since I switched wire (.25) It pops,snaps and wont weld for crap. I cant run a bead to save my life. Now the dang tank is empty. I only got the 20lbs tank but if you lined up all the beads I have tryed to run it wouldnt be 3 ft long. I have adjusted the wire tension,wire speed,heat range,changed ends,cleaned the gun. What gives ?:confused: Did I get a bad tank or what ? I'm going to take the tank back in the morning to see what they say. HELP if this is how its gonna be I can live with the not so pretty flux core welds.

2. uao85

uao85 1/2 ton status

I had the same problem with the lincoln pro mig that I had, the popping and sputtering I experienced was because I was outside and the slightest wind would blow away the gas and prevent it from shielding the weld. You said your tank was now empty so there is definitely gas coming out, so I would think the whole wind thing. Also depending on what size wire you are running, you might need a new tip on your gun. Hope this helps.

Remington

3. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

On my MIG you ned to reverse the polarity when you switch to and from gas.

4. spoolnaround

spoolnaround 1/2 ton status

yep. read the destructions that came with the machine.

5. lugnut

lugnut 1/2 ton status

I aint got no directions. Got the tank worked out. The new parttime help was taking in emptys and not pulling the sticker off so they were getting sent back out as full. The gun is - and the clamp is + I'll switch them and see what happens.