Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

might be busting out the stick welder this weekend. any tips

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by down4thakrown, Aug 12, 2005.

1. down4thakrown

down4thakrown 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

im goin to do some welding this weekend or atleast some practicing with my dads stick welder while he goes to work. what should i set it at if im goin to be welding some like 1/8" thick steel to the frame? i know it helps to grind where your goin to weld but, anybody got any other tips?

2. foolhardy

foolhardy Registered Member

humm i would use 7014 sticks easy arc starts

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

a few things...

I usually use 6011 rods,because most of what I weld is rusty up here in the salt belt..its strong enough for most repairs,and is easy to strike and keep an arc with,and is very forgiving if the work is dirty,painted,or a bit greasy..

Be sure to disconnect your battery cable before Arc welding anything to your truck!...I blew a nice 300 watt amplifier up in my van by forgetting to take the ground cable off first! :doah: --it can fry diodes in your altenator,kill your computer,or blow your bulbs if you neglect to do this!...doesn't happen every time,but its cheaper to take the battery cable off!.

I'd practice on some scrap steel first,until you get comfotable with your beads,and where to set the welder..(I usually weld at 75-90 amps,depending on the thickness)...A good mask/lens is a must,or you'll feel like you had sand thrown in your eyes when you try to sleep tonite!... :crazy:

4. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I would try around 90 amps at first. You can tell right away if it's too "hot" then turn it down some. I welded my truck bed/trailer tounge with 7014 rods on 105 amps with no metal prep of any kind, and it did ok even through rust and paint. I'm no pro, so don't laugh at my welds.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]