Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Might be taking my engine back to the builder for the 2nd time..

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by Silver84k5, Feb 8, 2005.

1. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

I drove the truck a week ago, and it was running fine.. I let it set for two days before i drove it again, I start it up.. I have the choke wired open so, i have to sit there and feather it for a minute or so before it will run on its own, to warm up, Well it wouldnt run on its own. I take the wire off the choke and close it.

It would run, but when i opened the choke, It would Gain RPM's and then after a few seconds it would start dropping Rpms and eventually Die.. That should be a vaccum leak, I replaced the carb gasket, that didnt fix it, I check hoses and plugs, all of them seem fine. So i dont know what the hell it is, Maybe the intake? Head? who knows. But im freakin pissed. this has been going on since F'In July, and ive only been able to drive my truck a total of 50 Flippin miles.

What a F"in nightmare, Im pretty sure i have water in my oil... I drained the oil a month or so ago and it was Neon green looking it was obvious it was that i had water/antifreeze in it, So i replaced the intake gasket. I drained the oil tonight and it was much darker this time around, but It was real thin, And More then 4quarts came out of the pan... This is starting to get old :mad:

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

How old is your carb? If you have an older carb or even just a home rebuilt original I would see what you could do to borrow a newer carb from someone to be sure it's not the carb itself first.

If you have only 50 miles on the motor it probably isn't broken in fully yet either. Your oil is going to be thinner as it gets older and breaks down as well. That is supposed to only take about 3 months even if you are not driving it. However if you had any water in your oil it will look like a runny milkshake and not neon green.

Have you done a compression check?

3. john39671

john39671 1/2 ton status

Also go around the intake where the carb bolts on and where it bolts to the block and heads with some spray carb cleen while it is running and listen for RPM change. If the motor RPM goes up and down you either have a wraped manifold or a bad base on your carb depending on where the change is. If you have any questions about your rebuild give me a call I work at a N.A.P.A machine shop. 541-523-4152

John