Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

might have found my donor truck

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by muddybuddy, Oct 14, 2006.

1. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

well after talking with the guy for the past month or so, i was finally able to see the truck. its a '86 diesel k10. Apparently it was his fathers, and he got a new truck so he gave it to him. The guy has a family now and doesnt have the time for it. the odometer says its got 144k i asked him if the IP and the injecters had been replaced and he said that he didnt know, but it starts up good, and doesnt smoke. its got a 4" lift and 15" Mickey Thompson rims with 35's, new dual exhust, and some other goodies on it. hes replaced one of the tanks and sending units and the fuel pump, starter, alternator, and batteries. its also got a heavy duty 8' hydrolic plow. the body does have some kinda bad rust, and spots where the paint is bubbling. i offered him $1100 for it and he said he would let it go for that. the guy seems to be a sincere guy, and after i offered him $1100 he asked if i was planning on having someone else come check it out as well.

my plan is to eventually swap the 6.2 into my k5 and then part the rest of it out. im thinkin that i should be able to get most of the initial cost of the truck back by parting it out. would you be concerned bout swappin in a 6.2 with 144k miles?

ive got pics but for some reason it wont let me attach them. ill post them up once it lets me

2. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Send the pics to me at the eastcoast-K5 email and I will post them for you Muddy

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The 6.2 I swapped in had 210,000 miles on it. That was three years ago and it still runs great.

Rene

4. muddybuddy

does that seem like a good deal? ive only actually seen 2 other diesel sfa chevy's around here. im hoping by parting it out afterwards that i would be able to get most of my money back.

5. 85-m1028

85-m1028 1/2 ton status

Have you looked at www.govliquidation.com at all they seem to poping up in bigger and bigger amount as the war progresses. I guess they are doing alot of up armor swap outs. This way you get the hmmwv exhaust manifolds and single plane inake, but you need make an intake plenum for it..

6. Metrodps

Here is his pictures. Looks good bud! The option to buy parts starts behind me...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. 85-m1028

85-m1028 1/2 ton status

WAIT A MINUTE!!! that things a buiilder!! and you wana part it out?? don't make me have to smack you!!!:D

8. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

dang that things in nice shape, you should just pull the engine and then put your old one in it so you can sell it whole, you might even be able to make some money on that

9. muddybuddy

im going to see if theres a way i can keep both. cuz i do like the idea of a pickup truck

10. 85-m1028

85-m1028 1/2 ton status

thats a C code 6.2 so the pre cups are sized for economy not power, need to ditch all the egr crap and open up the exhaust!!

11. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

you can sell the plow for 1100 easy I'd build it to nice a truck to part out

12. muddybuddy

well its got alot of body rust underneath, and the paint is bubbling as well (you cant really see from the pics) and you can see the rust holes on the pass side of the bed

13. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Up here in the rust belt, a truck that solid, esspecially a lifted shortbox 4x4 with a plow would probally net in the neighbourhood of 5 - 6 000, easy!

I've spent over 13 000 fixing my 3/4 ton 4x4 up, and this one is still in better shape all around...

14. muddybuddy

yea, clean trucks arent cheap around here either, this truck is nowhere near as clean as my k5 (the plow truck was used to plow up in PA), but its definitely worth the $1100 that he'll take for it. originally i was planning on just swappin the 6.2 into mine, but im going to try to talk my parents into working somethin out where i can keep the truck whole and find another 6.2 to swap into mine

15. Metrodps

:D *mails a bunch of nanobots programed to eat metal on 86 chevy pickup with instructions not to eat drivers front fender*

16. muddybuddy

im going to try to keep it as my dd until im able to finish my k5 (its going to be slow since im basically swapping out everything and its not going to be cheap)

17. 84CUCV

84CUCV 3/4 ton status Premium Member

nice find...

18. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

Muddy, check craigslist baltimore. There is a diesel K5 for sale for about $600. That way you can keep the PU the way it is.