Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Might have to get rid of my Jimmy :(

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jcg, May 25, 2000.

1. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

I think I mentioned in an earlier post that I pulled the seat belts out of the walls with my bare hands one day, which prompted me to remove the whole interior. That's when I found that the entire cab floor was rotten. After tearing out large portions of the floor (by hand!) I found most of the cab supports are rotted out too. All along the spot welds, between the floor and the supports, so I never noticed it from underneath. I never even realized how bad the floor pan was because the carpet was holding everything together. I think this has crossed the line for what I can replace myself. It would probably be easier to replace the entire tub! Tomorrow I'm off to the dealership where I bought it last Sept to see if they will do anything about it. I know they're probably going to laugh in my face, but you never know. They assured me that the truck was in great shape, except for the tailgate. They're one of the most reputable dealers in the area so I'm hoping they'll help me out somehow. I'm not sure what they could do, but it's worth a shot right? This is the best picture I have on the computer until I get my scanner working again. This was taken just before the 4" lift was put in and after the 33's were mounted in November. It looks perfect from the outside. This is my first K5 and I love it, it really hurts to think that it may become a parts donor. I haven't got any money to buy another one either, I'm stuck with my old Pontiac 6000 POS. Well, wish me luck, maybe I can save her.

Sorry for rambling, I just needed to vent a little. You guys understand. This is becoming a very traumatic experience!

Joe
    Rochester Institute of Technology Team Mini-Baja
    88 Jimmy

2. mudfanatic

mudfanatic 1/2 ton status

that is too bad, is the back floor in good condition? could you hit a wrecking yard and have the front floorpan cut out then find somebody with a welder to weld it into place into your rig???
    There's gotta be somthing you can do to save that piece of art.
    Dan

<font color=red>get involved with land issues or lose the land</font color=red>

3. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

The rear floor isn't as bad as the front, but the tailgate and the infamous tailpan are pretty much invisible. I found an 86 tub with a powdercoated frame, 10 bolt front, 12 bolt rear, and a spotless front floorpan for $300. Unfortunately the roof is smashed and the bed sides are really banged up. We had a huge ice storm about 6 years ago and this was a victim. I've been working on stripping it for the parts but no one has invented the 25 hour day yet so it's taking a while. As far as the welding goes, I'm the head welder for my race team and I just bought a Miller TIG box on Tuesday, this is the reason I have no money...! I'm not really worried about the floor pan, it's the structural stuff that bothers me. I may just patch everything up as best I can and then put in an 8 or 10 point roll cage, but that bring up the money issue again. I've got to do something, like you said it's a piece of art :) and it's got a s@#t load of power! It's still got the stock 3.08's with 33's and the only thing I added to the engine was a Jacobs system, yet it puts down rubber off the line. I can't wait until I get my 4.56's! I think I'm going to try to get some new cab supports and a floor pan from the dealership since they sold me an "unsafe vehicle". If it works, great, if it doesn't, I have a friend with a plasma cutter! :)

Joe
    88 Jimmy

4. 1bad2

1bad2 Registered Member

Is that Black and Red Jimmy the one that is rusted out??

Is that black and red Jimmy the truck that is having all this trouble? That looks like one VERY nice truck, and I bet they made you pay for a "VERY nice truck". I think I would have to take the truck back to them and try to get them to fix it, if they don't want to do something I would call the better business bureau, local news channels, and maby even a lawyer, oh yea I would also picket the establishment. A truck that is in that good a shape on the outside should be in good shape on the inside so I would assume they did extencive bodywork to make it look good so they could get top dollar for a rusted out truck. Boy I wish my truck "looked" that good!
    Curtis
    [​IMG]
    88 Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    64 Nova

5. James90

James90 1/2 ton status

Man that truck looks GOOD I hope you can save it.

[​IMG]Go prepared
    </font color=red>90 k5 soon to be big, bad, and mean

6. Blazerbob

Blazerbob 1/2 ton status

Where did you buy it? They probably sold it to you for a premium price. The small dealer I bought mine from eliminated the last $100 payment because the exhaust fell off and he felt bad because he didn't check it out close enough.

<font color=blue>Blazerbob</font color=blue>[​IMG]

7. Eric78K5

Eric78K5 1/2 ton status

I ran into the same sort of thing when I bought my 78K5. I bought it from a friend, and I knew it had a little rust, but when I removed the carpet to replace it, just about the whole front cab floor was eaten away. I ended up paying about $1100 to have a new floor welded in, but it was worth it. I think you can get a few of the structual parts, as well as the floor panels through JCWhitney...it might be worth a check since you can already weld. That's a skill that I have to learn!

8. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

I got it from Molye Chevy in Honeoye Falls. Today I talked to the owner and the salesman who sold it to me, they said to bring it in on Tuesday and their body shop guys are going to see if they can replace the floor. Either that or they'll give me the $6k I payed for it towards another vehicle on the lot. I know they're a great dealership and they'll do what ever it takes to make me satisfied. I don't think they ever knew how bad it was, I've been under the truck a LOT and I never noticed... they only had it for 2 days before I bought it. Well, lets hope they can fix it, I can't afford to get another truck right now. I also don't want a newer truck, all I'll ever want from now on is a K5. (well, that and a 67 Mustang GT500)

Joe
    88 Jimmy

9. James90

James90 1/2 ton status

I want a 72 blazer and a shelby GT350

[​IMG]Go prepared
    </font color=red>90 k5 soon to be big, bad, and mean

10. dumbfounded

dumbfounded 1/2 ton status

Was wondering if these are all "northern" trucks the pic of your black and red K5 looks great. All I can assume is the salt on the roads when it snows takes its price. My 78 I bought not to long ago has rust around the rear fender wells and the drivers side rocker panel is toast, and near the high beam dimmer. No structural rust that I can tell. But it doesn't snow much around here in NC.

Blood, sweat, tears, and lots of money is what keeps my K5 alive.

11. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

Sorry to here about your truck, you would never know by looking at the outside!

Southern California
    No Rain + No Snow = No Rust

Brian

12. Whii338

Whii338 Registered Member

I think i'll go pull my carpet and check, cuz mine doesnt look that good from the outside!