Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Might move to CA... Haaalp... pu..lease.... haaalp...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Ddragggon, Apr 3, 2003.

1. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

allright the dilema:

my grandfather owns and runs a highly successful business manufacturing, and selling transformer cooling fans and accessories for utility companies. he is looking to hire someone to start as a shop worker, learn the product line, production techniques, and shop management well enough to be upgraded to a management position. this would mean leaving the oasis of phoenix arizona, and heading for the hihgly populated areas of southern california in the upland/ontario/fontana area. pay is unknown, and irrelevant for all I care, ( its family so it'll be more then enough to live on, and probably have toy money left over too) but I fear completely screwing up, and inadvertantly destroying the business my grandfather has spent 34 years building up...

to top that off, I've not ever known much more then phoenix metro, since I've lived here since I was 7, and I'd be leaving a majority of my friends behind, and basicaly starting over completely.

any advice would be appreciated...

thanks,
    -Rich

2. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I fear completely screwing up, and inadvertantly destroying the business my grandfather has spent 34 years building up...

[/ QUOTE ]

i am goin threw the same thing..afraid of failer..after much debate i decided to leave the family bus..i am still working here as of right now but in the process of trying to get hired with the Dept of Corections..4-10 month hiring process...so could be awhile /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif but i know exactly what you are goin through..and the friend part of it..dont look at like you would be leaving friends behind...you are just goin to gain more...never can have too many friends /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Life experiences like that can be good. I say give it a shot.

4. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

I would do it, it sounds like he is willing to train you on how to properly run the business which would always end up being useful later in life.

Also if you dont mind about an hour commute everyday you could move up here into the high desert where the cost of living is significantly less and smog is almost non existent and the wheelin is awesome.

5. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Ain't ya like 21-22? Even though California sucks a**, it would probably be a great experience for ya to see a little more of the world and of course the SoCal Big Dawgs are down that way, apparently one of their own forgot to recruit ya so I'll do it for them.

6. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

We didn't forget to recruit him. He aint here yet... But ya... what everyone else said. I'd jump on it. Work hard and do your best. No one can ask any more. If you are there long enough to become management, you won't screw it up. If you turn out to be a bad apple, you'll just get unemployment for a while. At your age you can always move back to AZ. HEY! Maybe eventually you can open up a shop there too! Don't plan to fail. If you do you will... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

well, at the least, I'm going to go thorugh all my stuff, and throw outmost of it, wether I do move or not, since quite frankly, I never use most of it anymore anyway. yeah, nostalgia is cool and all, but I've got almost an entire room full of stuff I don't use anymore, packed away in various totes and storage bins, that've remained sealed since I packed them 3 years ago.

I'm going to sleep on it, and probably decide tomorrow. the biggest problem I face, is finding a place to live at, and coming up with the initial startup capital... ( oh, and moving 2 suburbans, and all my crap over there). probably sell one of them off. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

-Rich

8. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

Well if ya get here, let us know... We'll be glad to have ya run around with us. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

seriosly consider the high desert, yes the drive is a little longer, but the housing is A LOT cheaper with more land available. Plus there isnt as much smog up here as there is in ontario area, and it might feel more like pheonix because of the desert and heat in the summer.

10. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    seriosly consider the high desert, yes the drive is a little longer, but the housing is A LOT cheaper with more land available. Plus there isnt as much smog up here as there is in ontario area, and it might feel more like pheonix because of the desert and heat in the summer.

[/ QUOTE ]didn't say I liked the desert heat in the summer... I just hate snow, ice, salt, and the rustbelt. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

-Rich

11. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

No point in being a "stick in the mud". Just go for it. You'll never know unless you try it. Life's to short to be sitting around with your thumb up your @ss. Besides Arizona isn't going anywhere soon.