Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Might NOT have to get rid of her... How hard is a tub swap??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jcg, May 30, 2000.

1. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

I took my Jimmy to the dealership today and the first words out of the body shop managers mouth were "Holy F@#k how did we miss this!!" They said the only thing to do is replace the entire tub. The quote they gave me for parts and labor (40 hours) is about $2500. The dealership said they will split the cost with me to repair it. Over half of that price is labor so if I can get them to give me a new tub, how hard would it be for me to do the swap?? Would it be worth the $1200+ to have their guys do it? I know it's a huge job but right now it's my only option. I can't afford to trade up to a newer truck (I really don't want to either) and they weren't to thrilled about finding me another K5, they're worried about this happening again.

What do ya think, should I have them do it or should I do it myself and put the money towards other additions... roll cage, gears, lockers, etc. If I got a bunch of friends together I wonder if I could get it done in a week? (I know I'm dreaming!)

Joe
    Rochester Institute of Technology Team Mini-Baja
    88 Jimmy

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Hmm thats a tuff call
    I would say that the addons can be done one month ata time and eventually youll havem all but the tub! Wow whata job and youll need some buds to help ya R&R that bad boy! And what ya gonna do with the old tub? Do ya have all the tools and hoist that are needed. Diveway space? Time from work?
    Just thinking out loud for ya, I think I would talk somore with the dealer and find out what kinda gurintee your gonna get and have the mechanics ever done this type of job before or are they just gonna scab it together???? If it sounds like all angels are covered I would just pay them to doit and go over the work after the job is done!
    Good LUck

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin

3. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

I've been thinking it over and I think I'm going to have them do it. I was already planning on spending that much money on parts and tools to do the floor myself, now I don't have to deal with the headaches that are going to pop up. No, I don't have a hoist to lift it, I thought of that already. I think $1200 is a pretty good deal for a new tub and a professional installation. The more I think about this, the better it sounds.

Joe
    Rochester Institute of Technology Team Mini-Baja
    88 Jimmy

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Ya go forit!![​IMG]
    once it is done you will be glad you hadem doit!
    plus no new scars and headaces from several 12ers of beer drank every evening after a hard day R&R that bad boy![​IMG]
    Later

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin

5. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

jcq,

$1200 for having them professionally do that job plus parts is one heck of a deal. That sounds good. I would say have them do it. That is my vote.
    Boss

6. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

...about two months ago there was a guy from Michigan on this list who had a complete tub for sale. I think he wanted around $1600 - so if you can get it INSTALLED for $1200 - hell - go for it!! (no rocket science involved here!)

ps-it looked just like mine. I seriously thought about doing the same thing.

7. 1bad2

1bad2 Registered Member

I think $1200 is very good, especially when you think of all the work involved such as R&R everything, paint, and all the other seals and gaskets that will be needed to do the job right.
    Curtis

8. 6.2 man

6.2 man 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I think you should let them do it . I also think it's a good deal . If you don't have the time , place or tools to do it you could be in for a tuff time and a lot of bad language . Also if something gets messed up it their fault and they will need to fix it . Good luck

9. MICHIGAN BLAZER

MICHIGAN BLAZER 1/2 ton status

wait, wait, wait.....a minute.... you're telling me a chevy dealership....is going to install a new body (tub) and furnish said "tub" for .....$1200!!!!! You get both labor & parts for $1200?!?! all I have to say is.......Where exactly do you live again? whoa, I'd better start returning the ol' pop cans and cleanin' the seats out for change to start saving up for this....maybe i'd better have a chat w/my dealership. for that price definately go for it!

<font color=red>MICHIGAN BLAZER
    <font color=green>89 Fullsize Blazer
    87 Cherokee
    65 IH Scout

10. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

I would find out what they are going to do and get it in writing. I baught an '87 tub a year ago for $600( and that's cheap) then had to put it on the the frame, new bushings, seals, glass, & paint. Among other things. After 6 months of work and about $6k it done. I almost put a Bummer body on it befor I found this tub. Make sure what they are going to do. It sounds to me like they are talking about R & R the floor sections. 1993 Michells Estimating Guide which GM uses to do repairs list the Front Floor Panal @$654.00 for '78-'80, $762.00 for '81, and $1103.00 for '82-'91

C'moe

<font color=black>the blazer is "Back in Black"