Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Might sell the beast and get a jeep

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by elkboy, Nov 6, 2001.

1. elkboy

elkboy 1/2 ton status

The K5 is to tall and heavy to tow without a trailer( the front bumper is way higher than my hitch on my tow rig). I don't have room for a trailer unless I get rid of my sled( and thats not goung to happen). I also want to be able to tow my trail rig behind my truck and camper so I need to keep it under 4K. So I might sell the beast an get a jeep I can flat tow. That way if I break it, I can still get it home. I had to have the beast towed 100 miles home this weekend after a fuel pump failed [​IMG] The only other option I can think of is to get a cruser or jeep body and graft my drivetrain into it. I don't really want to get rid of it because it rocks with fuel injection and 39.5's.

<font color=red> Elkboy </font color=red> 82 K5 fuel injected H.O.305, TH350/205, 14bolt/10bolt and 39.5 TSL's.

2. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

San Antonio(summer) Texas A and M (school year)
    Thats easy. Put a lift on the tow rig too! What is your tow rig anyways?

Sparky

When all else fails... Check the blinker fluid.
    78 K-5

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Don't do it Norm!!! You finally got that thing going[​IMG] now ain't the time to give up on it! A decent Jeep will come in over 4000 lbs anyways, my buddy's YJ with 30" tires and hardtop weighed in at 4100lbs on the government scale.

If it's gonna be a dedicated trail rig lose all the heavy crap and find a way to use a tow bar. Lose the hardtop, doors, tailgate, most of the interior etc. and you'll lose about 500 lbs or more.
    Then carry a spare fuel pump, or swap to an inline pump thats easier to change if you have to.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

4. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Hey, I have your problem solved. Why not just drive the Blazer when you go wheeling. Thats what I do. Keith Deal drove over 18 hours to get to the Spring K5 run, so surely you can too.

But if you want to buy that Jeep go ahead. The way I think about that, either you are a K5er or youre not. Kinda like saying youre not sure if you are gay or not. Hate to put it that way, but either youre in or youre out.

Im a straight K5er, so I guess that means Im good to go. [​IMG]

Mudzer 1978/91 K5
    <font color=blue><a target="_blank" href=http://www.mudzer.rockcrawler.com>www.mudzer.rockcrawler.com</a></font color=blue>

5. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Raised reciever mount. Easy $30 fix.

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>The blazer's almost on the road....anyone got tree fiddy?</font color=red>

6. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

If the Blazer is a trail rig, then why not strip it of everything you dont need? Project Money Pit was getting pretty light before he started cutting the body. Take out most of the interior(panels that are not needed).. Then trim, trim trim! Only carry the essentials and go with some aluminum wheels if you can...

Dont sell the Blazer.. Just shave some weight off of it! YOU CAN DO IT! [​IMG]

BTW, what is your tow rig?

Mike

<font color=green>"1024x768x256... Sounds like one mean woman."</font color=green>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/emmettology101>www.geocities.com/emmettology101</a>

7. tRustyK5

Im a straight K5er, so I guess that means Im good to go

Bawahahahaha!!! Never seen it put that way before...[​IMG]

Rene

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

8. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

hahahaahaaaa, well said Mudzer!!
    Keep the K5!

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/baja/5099>www.geocities.com/baja/5099</a>

9. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

[​IMG] Funny, yeah! But where do I fit in with my quote, "I'm a straight K30'er, so I guess that means I'm good to go"? [​IMG]

I'm not picking my nose...I'm just pointing at my brain!! [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy>The K30 Collection</a>

10. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple> I'm with Laketex on this one ........ buy an inexpensive raised hitch ..... Way cheaper than trying to buy a trailer ! Rene has an equally good point ....... bring some extras along with you then you won't be stuck stranded ......... It seems like you're going to be making a decision that you'll regret later on ........Besides, you don't want to be gay ...........not that there's anything wrong with that. LOL !

L8r,
    . Riz . <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/rizmonkey>www.geocities.com/rizmonkey</a>

<font color=purple> BOW CHICKA BOW WOW !

11. JunkYardCrawler

JunkYardCrawler 1/2 ton status

to hell with heeps. full size rule the trail. i know jeeps move when i come down the trail. then i show them up. http://www.blazer-fest.8m.com/fe588200.jpg i drove this home to tucson after hollister man. babyblue drove his home too. i can't puch mine enough that it wont drive home.

Going nowhere everybody is a Moto Psycho
    Got my wheels in motion and i got a path to beat

12. dogman

dogman 1/2 ton status

your problem is a shared one, you knew you were going to take some abuse from the diehard k5 group.
    your trail rig vs/a jeep? man thats a real debate.
    your right about having to have that chevy drive train, that jeep stuff keeps breaking.
    both rigs are trailerable or tow. my suggestion is: put your $ in the tow rig that your driving.
    thats why I tow my jeep on a trailer, to thrash it; and my son drives his blazer to come get me when i break it.
    good luck, toys or not?

13. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

Cliky : <a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazer-fest.8m.com/fe588200.jpg>http://www.blazer-fest.8m.com/fe588200.jpg</a>

'85 K5 : Run it til it breaks, then fix it and go again!

14. JunkYardCrawler

besides i can roll my rig all the way over and come out of it better than the jeeps i seen roll over out there. jeeps seem to be tipsy to me.

15. JunkYardCrawler

thanx

16. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Norm, Norm, Norm..............let's re-think this. I know you told me on Saturday you were considering this............ANY vehicle, whether Jeep or Blazer or Bronco, will break. Just have to build it as bulletproof as you can. Weaknesses will be found as you go, last time to Sand Lake I found a wiring problem (thanks to the tranny shop pinching a wire). Always happens when you build a truck non-stock. Give it time, you JUST got it on the road. Ditch the in-tank pump or cut an access hole in the bed. OR put an inline pump like mine. Would take me 5 minutes to change mine. Put a receiver hitch on it like mine, and a 10" drop hitch like mine (or 12-14" for your's since its bigger [​IMG], and you can tow your boat. The solutions are simple if you want to stay fullsize.

Jeeps have many weaknesses as you probably already know. You will spend $$ getting any Jeep up to the same level your beast is, and it ain't cheap stuff. Besides, everyone has Jeeps...............and we need to keep our K5 brothers in the fold.

All your rig needs is a Detroit ($300, and we can install it) or a Lincoln Locker, a fuel pump access hole or relocation, and a hitch. And you're set.

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com>www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com</a>

17. elkboy

elkboy 1/2 ton status

Unfotunatly it's not a breakage problem or a K5 problem, it's the full size problem. Driving down the hiway ( more like herding it down the road)with 39.5 bias plys is pretty wild, so towing is really the only safe option. Since my truck/camper combo is 9500LBS+, I don't want to tow over 4k. Even with a 12K class V hitch, the load rating drops to 4k with a 30" extension to clear my camper. The other driving force I hate to admit is my back. I need a better seat a softer ride so I can stand up at the end of the day. Thanks for info on the weight Renee, i was told a TJ was about 3500K. But even stripped I doubt I could get the k5 below 5500.

<font color=red> Elkboy </font color=red> 82 K5 fuel injected H.O.305, TH350/205, 14bolt/10bolt and 39.5 TSL's.

18. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

19. tRustyK5

I know of a few people with bad backs that have gone to much softer sprung vehicles. You could always go with some soft ride springs, adjustable shocks(those will help a lot) and quality seats. As for herding it down the road...have you thought about keeping the 39.5's trail only? You could go with a radial in a 35" size and tow a small trailer holding the 39.5's to the trail.

Just a few more thoughts...I'd hate to see you give up so quickly on something you worked so long and hard on.

Rene (not Renee...[​IMG])

20. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

id rather push my chevy than drive a jeep

<font color=red>K5: Because size DOES matter</font color=red>
    85 K5 4IN LIFT 35 GOOD YEAR WRANGLER MT/R, AMERICAN RACING WHEELS