Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Migraines

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by fabjunkie, Jul 9, 2006.

1. fabjunkie

fabjunkie 1/2 ton status

Do any of ya'll get migraines? What do you do for them? My wife has had one for the better part of the last 15 days. She's been to the doc and got a script for RelPax, but the pharmacy said that everyone in the Houston area is out. :confused: It's driving her nuts as well as me. Any suggestions?

2. Tim L

Tim L Registered Member

I used to get them alot , someone suggested that I pay attention to what I have been eating when I got them, processed foods seem to set my migraines off. Women seem to have a bigger problem because of all the hormones during there monthly cycle

3. hack500

hack500 1/2 ton status

take about 1500mg of plain aspirin seems to get rid of mine - if I take when I first feel the onset.

4. onlychevy6

onlychevy6 1/2 ton status

when i used to get them Dr told me to take 4 aleeve. And it worked.

5. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

4-5 Aleve or generic version and 1 magnesium pill at onset of pain. Dr. told me this about 3 yrs ago and it has worked wonders for mine. And it sure beats $15 per pill of Imitrex.

***edit: I checked the bottle and it is magnesium not potassium that I take with the aleve.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2006
  6. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

I can tell the early warning sides. A few excedrin migraines work well for me. 15 day long migraine doesn't sound like a migraine to me...

7. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

If it's truly a Migraine then it is caused by vasal dilation. Search "vasal Dilators" and I'll bet you'll find something you've been eating. Could be the cause.
    For me any of the Anise family will do it. That would be: Licorice, hops (no beer), Italian sausage (has Anise in it), phenyl (sp?), etc.

One of the key things I look for in deciding if it's a migraine or a sinus headache is light sensitivity. If bright lights or the sun make it hurt worse it's a migraine. Though that's not true for every migraine sufferer.

8. 68MUDSTUD

68MUDSTUD OCD with shiny things

what causes my headaches was that i was in a car wreck...friend was driving, snapped my neck. when i get a major headache sometimesw i take oxycodiene but dont really like to because it ****s me up so bad... try tylenol 3

9. Ruthven13

Ruthven13 1/2 ton status

I kind of get the same thing, but it seems to be caused by my spine. I have had headaches the totally incapacitate me, to the point of wanting to jump off the roof. Then my back snapped and suddenly everything was right with the world. And this is at the base of the spine.

10. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

I get them and have been getting them for some years now. It sucks, I am very sorry for your wife. My prayers are going out for you....

I have spent 10's of thousands of my insurance companys dollars trying to get rid of these things. After trying every medicine out there and I mean everyone. Nothing works with the exception of 5mg of Zomig just when I feel them coming on, then around 1000 MG of Vicoden. About every 5th one I get, I have to go to the hospital and get what they call a Migrane mixer. Its demoral (SP) and Morphine mixed together, just to dull the pain. Then I spend the next 20 hours totally knocked out. There is no rime or reason to why or when I get mine.

For me, nothing works, and I have found nothing that sets them off, when they want to come visit, they do, and they stay as long as they want.

It's the worst thing I have ever had to deal with in my life, and I have seen a lot of things.

Good luck, try everything and anything to get rid of the pain, and stick with what ever works.

11. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

From what I understand they can be caused by many factors like something your eat, noise, light, smell, or pinched nerves in the spine or neck. I have had to deal with them for about 10 years now. I went through all the prescription stuff and got to the point that nothing was working due to a built up immunity to the medications from being on them so long. I have been using the generic aleve(noproxysodium) and magnesium tablets and it has worked well. I also had to change a few things around the house like laundry soap, airfreshener scents etc that were triggers for my migraines. But at least I no longer have to wear cutting torch glasses as sunglasses now.

12. fabjunkie

fabjunkie 1/2 ton status

Well we tried the Aleve yesterday and I don't know if it was that or not but it didn't surface. From what we've searched through, it seems like she's getting what they call "clusters". They can come and go for anywhere from a couple hours to months. At least for now, "the monster is sleeping". Thanks for all the ideas guys.

13. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

My wife uses Excedrin Migraine. A few of those and some rest in a darkened room seems to do the trick.

14. fabjunkie

fabjunkie 1/2 ton status

She had been eating the Excedrin Migraine's like candy and they weren't doing anything. She's been using those for a long time though so I think she might have built up an immunity to them.

15. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

I've had headaches almost daily since I was about 12. I'm 32 now. I've tried everything and taken every kind of drug out there. For me the "migraine" drugs- Relpax etc. did nothing. Actually 2 BC powders work best for me. BUT the best solution of all was going to see a Chiropractor. I have been seeing one now for 6 months and my headaches, for the first time in 20 years, are MUCH better. I still get one now and then but not daily like before. I highly recommend it. Got to www.idealspine.com . These are the Chiropractors that specialize in Chiropractic Biomechanics?? (I think thats the right name). Find one in your area.

16. gotmud?

gotmud? 1/2 ton status

17. docgab

docgab 1/2 ton status Premium Member

For some reason, I like this route too. While I'm not a CBP doc (idealspine.com), I still have helped many people who have had migraines. Most do not get rid of them completely, but they are fewer and less painful when they do come on.

18. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

Yea, I forgot to mention that. When I do get a headache now (which is rare) they are not nearly as severe as before. Most of the time I don't even really need to take anything. Not only will a chiropractor help with your headaches you will be surprised how much better you will feel altogether. Most people think you only go to a chiropractor if you hurt your back. That's not the case at all. While they can help with that they offer many other health benefits as well.