Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

MIL Code 22 TPS

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Robert D, Oct 26, 2005.

1. Robert D

Robert D 1/2 ton status

So I ran the code for the "malfunction indicator light"/"service engine soon" and it spit out code 22. On the website here:
    http://www.cfm-tech.com/gm_tbi_trouble_codes.htm
    it says code 22 is for a low-voltage on the TPS. Now what has your experiences been with the throttle position switches on these trucks? On the 944 I had it was a simple replacement. What are your thoughts?

2. Robert D

Robert D 1/2 ton status

I should mention the symptoms when the light comes on...this usually happens when coming to a stop and the engine seems to surge like I an increase in throttle. When these failed on the 944 I had, the car would run fine but would die when trying to return to idle...

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

likely a simple replacement. IF you care to you can test the TPS voltage output. Find out which is the signal wire and check its voltage. Off the top of my head I forget what it should be :doah:

Had one go dead in my 95, that was hell since it had a computer controlled tranny, didn't like to shift, ran like ass, all around about time getting her home.

4. Robert D

Robert D 1/2 ton status

I have a 91 and it also is shifting into/out of 1st weird when this light comes up. Other times it shifts fine...I'll get right on replacing before it ruins the tranny.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If you've got an autozone, you can borrow their scanner and TPS is one of the things you can watch. Looking for increase in voltage to follow the throttle input, starting around .5V up to 4-5V.

It is a simple replacement, they do go bad, but if you care to test it, that's the easiest way.