Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

MIL spec goodyear wranglers 36x12.50x16.5???'s

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ZooMad75, Nov 5, 2004.

1. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

MIL spec goodyear wranglers 36x12.50x16.5???\'s

I was down at the local boneyard today and found a couple of Goodyears of the size listed above. They had a ton of tread left (at least 65% to 70%). Asking price, $25 a tire. Has anybody used these tires? Worth picking up? I'd have to switch over to 16.5 rims and a regear was in the plan anyway.

They said they should be getting a few more in soon. I'm just wondering if it would be worth it to grab them.

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Re: MIL spec goodyear wranglers 36x12.50x16.5???\'s

Go for it!

They're noisy.

3. ZooMad75

can't be much noiser than the old kelly's I got on there already. Even then I like sounding like a prop plane on takeoff driving around!

I will need to take the /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif to the fenders and quarters though. No biggie!

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

They're not bad tires as long as the noise is ok. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

Hey, glad to see another local guy!! /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

As for the tires, if there are the Bias Ply's, I wouldn't recommend them much. I was running them, but they seemed to flat splot really bad and would take forever to run round again. If it's just a trial rig, an okay tire. If it's a street rig, I'd pass, even for the price.

Try Carder, Inc in Limon for the Hummer radials. They sell for $25-$50 each, depending on tread. He doesn't get many radials, but if you are interested in them, keep calling and you'll eventually get some

Once agian welcome and PM me sometime. We'll have to hook up for a beer!! There's ALWAYS a keg in my kegerator /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. ZooMad75

I'll have to see if they were bias or radials. The truck sees street and trail time, but it don't sit for extended periods of time either.

I'll have to take you up on that beer sometime. Matter of fact, me and a couple other guys down here in P-town are thinking of a snow run later this month. Weekend after turkey day. Westcliffe area or west of canon city. Nothing is set in stone yet but thats what we are targeting so far. let me know if you are interested in some snow fun!

7. mr_beer

mr_beer 1/2 ton status

I have a set on my rig they're alright if you don't drive alot of miles. Their are noisy as hell to me. They make a good trail tire, but not a good mud tire. I can get a truck load of them for $120 a set, 90% to 95% thread. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I have a set on my rig they're alright if you don't drive alot of miles. Their are noisy as hell to me. They make a good trail tire, but not a good mud tire. I can get a truck load of them for $120 a set, 90% to 95% thread. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

This just doesn't make sense, the military probably pays a fortune for them, and then they don't even use them until they are worn out, and sell them off dirt cheap /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif And the military needs more money why? "Uh oh, the Hummer has 15 miles on it, time for new tires....." /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This just doesn't make sense, the military probably pays a fortune for them, and then they don't even use them until they are worn out, and sell them off dirt cheap /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif And the military needs more money why? "Uh oh, the Hummer has 15 miles on it, time for new tires....." /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably because we rip up more tires than we wear out. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

be very though when picking mil spec used tires. the normaly get rid of them because of bead damage or a sidewall puncture. both are workable, but not always. i had a full set of them for a while, but never got to moutn them. might get some as a street tire for my dodge. IIRC they are d or e rated. some are bias ply and some are radial. some are 37 inchers and some 36. depending on the tread some are noisy and some are not. hummers have had 3 or 4 diff kinds of trad in the 6 years i have been in and 2 types of rims. i think they are working on another rim now in 17 inch, but i dont remember.
    Grant

11. mr_beer

mr_beer 1/2 ton status

The guy I get them from will swap them out if I find any damage, no questions asked.

12. blind driver

blind driver Registered Member

Those tires ride rough as hell. Sometimes I see them as recaps as well. They can be difficult if not impossible to mount on a narrow wheel. Then there is the balancing /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif.

13. bandit1

bandit1 Registered Member

Kegerators are the greatest investments EVER. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gifGood to hear /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

14. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

i'VE BEEN RUNNIN THEM FOR A WHILE THEY'RE NOISY, BUT THEY WORKAND THEY'RE CHEAP /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Those tires ride rough as hell. Sometimes I see them as recaps as well. They can be difficult if not impossible to mount on a narrow wheel. Then there is the balancing /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif.

[/ QUOTE ]

It sounds like you need to buy some Mall Terrains or All Purpose tires.

16. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Had a set on a big ole binder-like a hog on ice on a slippery road. Mine worked great in snow and mud-threw HUGE chunks everywhere. If they are true mil spec there will be writing on them saying not for export outside US.