Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

milage out of a 6.2 in custom aplication

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by big_truxx, Jan 13, 2005.

1. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

I wonder what kind of milage you could get out of a 6.2 if you were to throw it into something it didn't normally come in. ie s-10 or an elcamino. I know a v-8 in an s-10 will get good milage just due to the power to weight ratio. I think a v-8 powered s-10 gets about the same as a 6.2 powered K5, 18ish mpg. And if a K5 w/ 6.2 gets 18 what would the s-10 w/ 6.2 get? And IIRC an elcamino should have a similar weight to the s-10. Also an elcamino would be just too cool w/ a gooseneck setup for my trailer! :haha: But seriously, I think there could be some great mpg out of a 6.2 powered vehicle like an s-10 or elcamino. A 5 or 6 speed tranny would be cool. Did they even produce a stick from the factory in the elky? A 700 would be ok w/ a lockup torque convertor but I feel that a stick always slips less anyway.

2. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Some people with diesel 'camino's have reported mileage in the mid 30mpg range. These were not 6.2's though, they came with the 5.7's. Im sure the potential for 32-36 MPG is there with the 6.2 depending on the vehicle you put it in, how you geared it and how agressively you drove., Some people have reported close to and right at 30mpg in stripped down 6.2 powered C-10's, so its kinda hard to say exactly.

3. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

I hate the 5.7 diesel. And I was thinking depending on the use of the final product, a stick with nice 1st gear and od with maybe as low as 3.73 for hauling, or a stick or possible 700 w/ lockup and as high as 3.08 for a dd/parts getter etc. But for the life of me I cannot recall ever seeing an elcamino with a stick in it from the factory. So if it wasn;t from the factory with a stick it'd be much easier to run a th700 with od and lockup.

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I don't think the elcamino ever came with the 5.7 olds diesel, but I have seen them with the 4.3 olds diesel.
    That diesel got 30+ MPG in those cars.
    I also have seen some cutlasses with the 4.3 getting 38 MPG.
    My 5.9 TD perkins gets me 30 MPG in my K5

5. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

I have seen one personally with a 5.7. The guy who owned it used it to tow his drag cars, it was probobally one of the sweetest looking el-camino's ive ever seen, and it was a tow vehicle. He would tow his drag car there, and park the el-camino in the show car section while he raced. I was very jealous of the setup. It may have been a transplant, but it was a 5.7.

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Well that is why I said I don't think :D
    I would assume it's a transplant but again I don't want to ASS U ME.
    :grin: