Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

milage/ride on swampers

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 1HIHUM, Oct 31, 2000.

1. 1HIHUM

1HIHUM 1/2 ton status

I'm replacing my gumbo mudders in the spring, and I'm trying to get opinions on milage and ride quality for boggers, and ground hoags. Include noise and street drivability if you can(myride is my daily driver). Thanks for any input!!!

2. I've got a chance to buy a nice used set of gumbo's for a good price.How good a tire are they,do they ride well.What about off road?Thanks

IF IT AINT BIG IT AINT BAD!!!!!!

3. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

I had a set of 38x12.50 Swampers on the rear of my dually, and 38.5x16s in front and got 35,000 miles out of them. They still had about 15% tread when I removed them (for 42s!!). This was on a 7,000 pound dually crewcab. The 42s I have now have 15,000 miles on them and a little more than 1/2 tread left. I've heard mudders and hawgs don't wear as well.

ken

4. KING K5

KING K5 1/2 ton status

I used to have an '89 4runner with 7" lift and 35x16-15 Boggers and they were great off road but on the highway they absolutely screamed! My friends said that they could hear me coming like 5 miles away! They also wear down really quick on pavement so if it's your daily driver I would not recommend Boggers! Just my 2 cents! Good luck...

5. 1HIHUM

1HIHUM 1/2 ton status

For Bigbad. They(Gumbos) Aren't the best tires out there, that's for sure. I have a set of 17-40-16.5's, bias ply's. They get flat spots over night(in cool weather). Noise isn't too bad, at least to me. I got them well used from my brother, who got them on the blazer he bought, so I can't gauge milage. Last time I went wheelin', I tore off good size chunks of rubber( nasty rock though). But hey, if the price was right, I'd consider them again, but it would have to be a real steal! Hope this helps!

6. smp

smp 1/2 ton status

KING K5 is right boggers are sweet off road but suck on road and wear really fast not good for a daily driver

<font color=orange>SMP</font color=orange>

7. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

I ahve a set of 38x15.5x15 Ground Hawgs and they have lasted me for 28,650 mi. so far. About 58-60 % tread left. I use them on and off-road they wear nicely but you really should keep a schedule of rotation and air pressure. I dont "light the tires" or come to a sliding stop on the pavement either. Your driving habits have a great deal to play on your tires milage, not like you didnt know this already. You will be suprised though. I am changing them out, when they wear, for some 35" BFG's or Pro Comp's.

8. Thanks for the info on the gumbo's.As far as flat spots go my bias ply swampers were the same way.But after a few miles they were fine.

IF IT AINT BIG IT AINT BAD!!!!!!

9. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

I have the new 33 inch Swampers on my daily driver...It has almost a year on them in Sept. I have about half of the tread left! The on road noise is O.K. untill you get past 45 MPH ! But they look and sound Mean! Hope that helps....