Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

mild or wild: your advice

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by owen, Nov 28, 2003.

1. owen

owen 1/2 ton status

Down here (south Alabama), we dont do rocks. Hill climbing, mud and water is about all we get. The question is this- any advantages I would see in some type of "exotic" or modified suspension? Just springs and a flip kit right now, but I am in the process of swaping a 60 and 14ff. Looks like this would be the time to do any of the fab work, if I just had a little advice! Coil overs, ford style coil springs, 3-link rear stuff- I would entertain anything right now and I just want to know that I couldnt be happier after I do the planned swap as is. Any opinions will be a great help! I love this site! k5 guys rock!

2. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

well honestly if you just play in the mud and maybe some trails (like old skidder trails and logging roads) then i dont see the advantages of all the fancy stuff. In mud and running light trails you realy dont need much flex. My advice would be to invest that money into lockers and more HP for the motor. Those are things you will find handy in mud /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. owen

owen 1/2 ton status

Got a pretty healthy EFI 383, 4.56's, Detroit and Loc-Right so far. Just want to plan for the rougher trails in central and north AL where the "hills" tend to get a little nastier. Deep ruts and steep inclines are what I am hoping to be able to handle. Does this change anything?

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Yeah. It makes you want to have a low center of gravity. Stay at 4-6" of lift...as low as possible.

5. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

well you definetly dont whant big lifts if you playing on hills (take it from someone whos been in on thier side 5times, it sucks /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif) I personally would just see how you you do whith the curent setup before jumping at things, i have been suprised what my stock ford on 33s will do. The shcakle flip is a good start for more flex. If thats not enough you may whant to try pulling the overload leaf from your rear springs (i did this on my ford and its realy wild the flex in the rear). Bottom line, try cheap stuff and take it in stages. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. bigblock44k5

bigblock44k5 1/2 ton status

Your on the right track, dont bother with a 4-link or anything like that, you will be killing yourself with maintenance from all the mud and water getting in your rod ends. ditch your sway bars if you have them, take the time to waterproof eveything important everywhere, under the hood especially. Just like anywhere else flex and soft springs are important, especially when moving fast through a mudhole and hitting ruts. you dont want your tires bouncing around when they should be planted throwing mud. Like already stated keep some HP in the motor for high tire speed. and some wide tires for floatation so you dont sink in the alabama mud.

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    but I am in the process of swaping a 60 and 14ff.

[/ QUOTE ]
    This mod alone is going to increase your axle droop. Those things are HEAVY and the extra weight alone will help drag a tire down into a hole. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Where in south Alabama are you? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

9. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    wide tires for floatation so you dont sink in the alabama mud.

[/ QUOTE ]

why float? no traction if you float

10. owen

owen 1/2 ton status

hey NVRENUF! Good to know I got a buddy down here to pull me out sometime! Im in Brewton which is about 65 miles from you. Maybe we can wheel sometime. Thanks to all for the responding. It is actually a little good news that I will be able to buy "off the shelf" stuff and still have a decent wheeler without days(few days= 3 months)of fab work. I am having a dude at a local body shop strech the fender openings 4 inches to keep a short lift if I can. I had diff reasons, but it kinda looks like I know what I am doing to you off-roaders;)! Any help on picking a good set of soft springs? Got a Trailmaster 4" with a flip in the rear right now. Custom springs? Softride? Shocks? More info!!! oh-yeah... Im running 16.5x38.5x14.5 TSL SX if that info is needed. Im working on my profile and some pics for my membership! Thanks, my brothers!

11. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Brewton, alright that's close enough! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Not many CK5er's in this area (a few in the Pensacola, Fl area) so it's always nice to see more!

Tuff Country is supposed to be nice and flexy, they're pretty popular around here.

12. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    wide tires for floatation so you dont sink in the alabama mud.

[/ QUOTE ]

why float? no traction if you float

[/ QUOTE ] And you can't go very far sunk to the mirrors in bottomless alabama mud. The widest and tallest tire you can get is the best for bottomless mud. I think you are thinking of Cali mud where the hard pan is usually 6" to 12" deep. A lot of guys like taller pizza sclicers to just dig to hard pan but I seem to do better with wide boggers on my relativly light rig around here. The 44x19.50 bogger was made for southern mud. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

13. owen

owen 1/2 ton status

What about the mud-boggers that run pizzas up front(swampers) and wide ones(boggers) in the rear? Anything to that?

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    What about the mud-boggers that run pizzas up front(swampers) and wide ones(boggers) in the rear? Anything to that?

[/ QUOTE ]

Usually they just want the lateral traction for steering and to help save their front axle they use less agressive tires. In the rear, a 14 bolt can take just about any form of abuse so thats why it doesn't matter.

15. bigblock44k5

thanks rjfguitar, excactly what i was going to say. much easier to slop around on top of mud than drag your axles,frame, and whatever else through it. Kind of the same reason snowshoes where invented. easier to walk on top than wade through it isnt it?

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    thanks rjfguitar, excactly what i was going to say. much easier to slop around on top of mud than drag your axles,frame, and whatever else through it. Kind of the same reason snowshoes where invented. easier to walk on top than wade through it isnt it?

[/ QUOTE ]

It honestly really depends on the consistancy and the rest of the rig, but generally, yes.

Wide is good, but there is a limit to how wide helps and where it works against you. There is a happy medium, luckily the whole thing can be adjusted with air pressure.

17. bigblock44k5

wider the better as long as you have the power to turn them and keep the wheel speed up. other than that i dont know of any reasons wider isnt better. unless like previously stated, there is firm ground a few inches down and you need to dig to get max traction.

18. mudslinger97116

mudslinger97116 1/2 ton status

sawsall and a small lift no body lift nice low center of gravity plus good clearence

19. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

you might want to think of some sort of traction bar or something in the rear to keep wheelhop down and traction UP

20. owen

owen 1/2 ton status

ok... but why so narrow in the front? Wouldnt more lugs to throw mud be better? I know these are mainly on competition rigs, just wondering about the theory. That is what competition is about- developing technology to "trickle" down. Maybe I need to worry about something else(like getting my k5 off the jackstands!).