Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

mile marker conversion kit for my 203

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by purple76pearl, Oct 16, 2003.

1. purple76pearl

purple76pearl 1/2 ton status

ok so i finally got around to putting my conversion kit in my trans case, and have a small prob, i followed my directions to a T, evan had a local mechanic help me, so i did not miss anything, once the kit was put in and put it all back together my rear drive shaft will not turn, its locked up, i took it back out, put it together stock and it works, so after a few hours of putting it in and out and back in and back out, it still does the same thing, locks my rear drive shaft when installed, what does this mean? and how do i fix it /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

2. khotmer

khotmer 1/2 ton status

this may be dumb question but is the tranny i neutral?

3. purple76pearl

purple76pearl 1/2 ton status

yes it was in neutral
    ill try and explain this i hope those of you familiar with this kit understand what im trying to say
    the 4 peices in the kit taht clamps on to the tail shaft, well when i clamp them on it, the shaft gets longer, pressing it against the rear bearing, forcing the rear cover to be beat on with a rubber hammer, thus locking the rear drive
    if i put my spider gears back in, the rear cover slids on with ease (by hand) and rear drive shaft turns smoothly
    after trying several times ( 6 times total in and out) it does the same thign every time
    what am i doing wrong

4. khotmer

khotmer 1/2 ton status

I have not done this install yet but from some of the things i have read only 1/2 the original shimms are used when installing the MMshaft kit. here are a few articals you can look at.
    okay artical
    good one

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Hmmmmmmm Only a couple of things I can thing of that would cause that.

When you split the diff carrier to install the tabs it CAN be assembled backwards. There is some offset to the cross and outer rings. I would think that if it was assembled backwards that the Ring might be able to contact the back of the housing.

Also there was some differences in the early 203's. I seem to recall the 73-74 had some issues. I did not run into a problem on my 75 or my 79 and I'm 99% sure the case was original to the trucks. From what I understand it will cause a clearence issue with the housing on the early case.

Next thing is shims and the thrust bearing installed incorrectly. The thrust bearing needs a washeron both sides. It keeps the spacing corect to keep the front drive crown gear from hitting the Diff assembly.

Next is too many tail shaft shims. Pull tha last section of the tail cone off and see if you can spin the shaft without it.

Last.....Your positive the case is not in LOC. If the front wheels are still on the ground and hub locked or drive flanges still installed then if your in LOC it will not spin by hand because your trying to turn the front wheels. If in doubt as to it coming out of LOC take loose the Shift linkage that goes into the rear half of the 203. Pull the Rod sticking out of the rear half forward towards the engine to get it out of LOC.

Here is a picture where you can see that the cross is not center to rings.
    Note the bolts should be pointed away from the engine. Also the splined section in the middle of the cross is offset as well as I recall. Pay attenttion to where the shaft and the 501 kit clamps on it. The clearence problem with the early modles may be in that area. If the 501 stick up past the flat surface on the shaft it may be contacting the bearing suport in the tail housing. As I recall on both my trucks it was flush.

[​IMG]

End play shims with the small section of the tail cone removed.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Torgenson (sp) thrust bearing between two washers against the front drive crown gear.
    [​IMG]