Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

mile marker e12000 winch

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RootBreaker, Jun 29, 2005.

1. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

ok for those of you that have the mile marker winches....

I see that the 12k is discontinued...
    E12000
    Part Number 76-50050C

so its replacement is
    SE12000
    Part Number 76-50150

my question is I remember the people over at ewinches.com told me the newer (se12000) has a plastic handle and is not as good. can anyone here confirm that?
    I am going to start searching for one of the 2. the newer one is about $50 cheaper but I will hunt down the other if it is better...

my game plan is to take a piece of plate steel... 1/4" unless that is not thick enough...

mount it under my bed and under the frame rails... then make a [ around it.

hard to explain but it would have the mounting plate and 3 sides.. only open to the top and back of truck to keep some of the mud out...

I am planning on cutting a hole in the bed and putting hinges in to clean it out...

also going to cut the double tube bumper and mount a roller fairlead into it

now with the setup like that does it matter if I bolt the plate to the bottom of the frame or should I stick it on top of the bottom of the C part?

if you are pulling the back will lift upwards so if I mount it to the bottom then the plate steel will also use the frame as a stationary object too..

sorry if confusing you but I know what I want to say but dont know how to....

just found a guy with a new e12k winch and t-max wireless remote to my door for $500!!!!!

2. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Run away quik, that was the worst waist of money I have spent on the blazer. Do the right thing and save up for a warn. I burned up the motor on the 2nd uses. I wasn't even really stuck bad, a stock jeep was able to pull me out:crazy:.

3. burbBoy

burbBoy 1/2 ton status

I ran the e-12000 for just over a year. Not once did i have a problem with it. You cant beat them for the price.

My old housemate burned out the motor in his warn on the 3rd use with NO load on it while spooling it in the driveway. It can happen to any electric motor with a defect not just MM.

4. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Don't do it. Both Mile Marker and T-Max are products from China. Mile Marker is now made by the same company as the Chicago Electric winches you get from Harbor Freight...

Get a Ramsey - It won't let you down...

[​IMG]

5. RootBreaker

Ok lets put it this way...

I appreciate the posts...

I am looking for a $600 or less winch.... as I dont have any more to spend...
    so then I should look for harbor freight to see if they have anything....

I expect to be pulled out via tow straps... however occasionally a winch...

if they are warrantied for 2 years then why are they crap?

yes a warn or ramsey is nice but 1.5 x the cost of the MM :crazy:

6. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

This is why you shouldn't buy a MM - or a T-Max for that matter. This is a MM winch using TMax parts. At the time, these were made by the same Chinese company.
    This was the first use of the winch...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Several guys in our club bought the "cheap" 12k MM winches.........and cheap is what they got. They have all had numerous issues with them and can't really rely on them to work if they need them.

Chances are if you really need a winch than you will be in a bad position if it won't work at that moment. It's like people saying they won't upgrade the 10-bolt because it's cheaper to buy replacement parts.......that's great until it blows chunks in the middle of the trail and you have to either tear it down in the mud and hope you have the right spare parts, or try to get a crippled vehicle back to pavement (been there, done that.....and it sucks).

8. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

look at industrial winches, they tend to be cheaper and will pull hard but have a slower line speed on warn's website they have an industrial section but i can't remeber what all is there. Years ago I bought an old CJ-5 equipped with an electric worm gear drive rawson-koening (think i got that right) that would snap 3/8" cable before it thought about quiting. Loved to hate it for that reason

9. 4x4mike

4x4mike Registered Member

I have the 9K and it has worked fine. I bought a snatch block from ewinches and it rocks. I mounted my winch on the front inbetween the frame rails behind the bumper (stock). I extended the wires and have the control box in the engine compartment. Before I actually mounted the control box onto something it was resting next to the radiator (hot). The solieniods stopped working, while I was stuck. I'm happy with my purchase.

10. RootBreaker

you have the 9k what?
    :crazy:

11. RootBreaker

since sooooo many say stay away...

how bout Patriot Profile 12,000 R 12V with wireless remote
    [​IMG]

12. 4trolls

4trolls 1/2 ton status

My 8000# Ramsey pulled my suburban 3" and fried ,so I was hung by my winch, couldnt winch in or out. Walked 2 miles for help, I'll be buying a Warn 16.5

13. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I wouldn't buy a Ramsey or a Superwinch. You get sub-Warn quality with Warn prices (or more).

I have the original MM E12000. There are some shortcomings. I'm really tired of talking about it though. [​IMG]

I don't think I'd buy the new SE version though. I also wouldn't buy a new T-MAX winch either. You can buy them for the same price as the MileMarker similarly-sized winches if you find the right vendor.

14. RootBreaker

True I never thought of using that feature that all forums have.. .and expecally since I have only been here a short time
    aka Join Date: Nov 2001 :whistle:

15. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

I have one ill sell you for 600 so i can buy a warn, but really i hate im w/ a passion do yourself a favor and WAIT for a warn

16. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

and the only 2 ramesy's ive seen work have melted

17. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

18. RootBreaker

looks doesnt matter much to me as it is going under my bed...

and at $750 still not too much of a bargain considering MM and the ramseys are $600.... and yes I KNOW YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR

19. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

It has kind of been beat to death. Tim and I used to argue back and forth. Over a year ago I started my pursuit with a 9.5ti vs. E12000 thread. I've replied to many "bag on MileMarker" threads since then. My biggest irritation is probably the fact that there isn't enough room on the drum for all of the cable.

There for a while you could find the E12000 for as cheap as $540. I ended up paying just under $700 for mine and a snatch block plus freight. I later bought a wireless remote.

If you get what you pay for always held true then everyone would be driving Honda/Acura NSXs instead of Corvettes. You pay a premium for a Warn winch. It'd be different if all the parts were still made in the US or if they still had a real warranty. Eventually the brand name will run out of steam and the balloon will deflate a bit.