Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Mile marker locking hubs

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bajaviking, Jul 30, 2002.

1. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

Some time ago I asked on this site about the Mile Marker premium locking hubs, most people told me to get the Warn instead but since I had already bought them I decided to try them. One month after I put them on the left one broke, good thing is that I was able to return them to the store and pay an extra $20 to upgrade to the Warn premium hubs. The guy in the store told me that I'm the third person this month to return the Mile Markers. I guess you guys told me to get Warn for a reason, maybe I'll listen next time /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

2. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Almost every post I have read about them says they are junk.
    Glad you were able to upgrade them no problem.

3. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

the warns are junk too.
    side by side the MM look way better then the warn.

4. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

MJ is correct, I have seen the Warns blow fairly easy too. I have also heard debates on which hubs are better for which axle (D60 vs. the internal bolt 10C/D44), unless you have 35 spline outers on a D60 (and from what I hear, Warn is the only choice you have). That being said, proper installation/maintenance and use goes a long way......and you can get a "lemon" from any manufacturer. Not saying MM are the best, but they have worked well for me. ***Note, I add RTV around the mating surface of the hub and lockout, as well as on the bolt heads of any lockout I put in. Water and grime seem to get in even when the stock o-rings/ seals are new. RTV (in limited quantities) seems to help immensly in lockout/hub sealing. FWIW

5. bajaviking

I don't know if there is much difference in strenght but the turning dial mechanism looks and feels better to me on the Warn than on the MM's.

6. Leadfoot

That's weird, the Warn premiums on the 78 were tougher to turn right out of the box (and one turned MUCH harder than the other even before installation). I figured once installed they would "loosen" up, but they did not, one still turns harder than the other (still can't figure that out). I really sucked this winter with cold fingers! I never had problems with my old MM's and that was on the same style axle. I also noted with the new Warns, I was unable to install the outer snap-ring, even after pushing out on the axleshaft at the u-joint. Again this is one man's experience /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

7. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

doesnt MM supply a handy lil dial turning wrench thing?
    the most common failure of hubs is excessive grease in my experience.
    my warns broke from a design flaw and the redesign looks not much better

8. Leadfoot

If they do, they left it out of my box /forums/images/icons/mad.gif /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

9. bajaviking

I didn't get any handle with mine, but handle or no handle, last week-end when I was stuck in a sand dune with no 4X4 I thought they sucked big time. /forums/images/icons/mad.gif I hope I will have better luck with the Warn's.

10. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

can yoi shoot photos of the broken hubs?
    I have the pics from my warn failure in my webshots and could put yours up as well.
    I missed the opportunity to add photos the last time this came up when it looked like a partial engagement problem due to excessive grease on assembly.

11. bajaviking

Sorry but I already returned the hubs to the store, the hubs were well greased when I got them and I didn't add any grease at all so that was not the problem. If I break the Warn's I will take a picture but I sure hope that won't happen /forums/images/icons/smile.gif