Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Mile Marker NP203 Part time kit

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rawhead, Apr 16, 2003.

1. rawhead

rawhead Registered Member

I have a '79 K5 with the Full time NP203. I noticed on the Mile Marker web site there are a few different items. Which one do I need to convert mine to part time? Is the shaft kit required as well or can that wait?
    4 Wheel Parts list
    MileMarker Catalog

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

[​IMG]This should be what you need, and if so I have one i'll sell you minus the gasket, my 203 was toasted beyond repair... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

<font color="orange"> chevyfumes </font> has all the parts you will need. They don't really wear out so used ones should work just fine.

The blocks you see in the picture just lock up the differential in the transfer case. For most rigs, that works just fine.

The output shaft replacement is another type of conversion (also sold by Milemarker) that REPLACES the differential and output shaft making it much more durable but it costs MUCH more $$$$$$.

4. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Oh, let me clarify, I never even used the blocks just had to use the gasket when I put everything back together.I opened it up before BB02 to replace the chain and put in the kit but the PO already installed the kit but something else was wrong with the case so I couldn't tell why it wasn't working correctly and just put it back together, I'm waiting to put in a 205 now.... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    never even used the blocks

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey <font color="blue"> rawhead </font>, buy <font color="orange">chevyfumes </font> kit and read<font color="green"> Grim-Reaper</font>'s technical write-up on installing this kit !!

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. rawhead

rawhead Registered Member

Thanks for the input guys! I've just ordered the kit from 4 Wheels Parts. Chevyfumes, thanks for the offer but the whole kit new was only $47.00. Thanks to all who replied. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. 78GMCJIMMY

78GMCJIMMY 1/2 ton status

$47 Dollars that is MINUS Hubs right? If so you will need a pair! This conversion kit is OK for MILD use on/offroad However They DO WEAR OUT!!! I've seen em with the spider gears CHEWED down to nothin!!! The shaft replacement kit is a much better choice and is more costly around $300-$325.However you get what you pay for ya know!!!JUST MY .02 cents /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

8. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

That kit also kills the needle thrust beaing in the pic. Mine was toast when I got the Sub. I was hearing a very mild 'ding-di-ding-di-ding' type of noise that was the result of all of the needles being in the bottom of the case.

9. MontanaLifted

MontanaLifted 1/2 ton status

I think the part time kit is fine for right now, Thats what I'll be doing in a few weeks. I think the reason that GRIM had problems is because he has a locker up front. Like he said that just put even more pressure on the worn out parts in the transfer case.
    Obviously rebuilding the whole thing is ideal but I know I don't have $400 bucks for that kit. Especially since I'm putting a new engine in my truck next month.

/forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif