Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Mile Marker winches/costco stuff.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MrArmyAnt, May 2, 2006.

1. MrArmyAnt

MrArmyAnt 1/2 ton status

Texas, Kick a$$! (Grapevine, DFW; also Norman, OK)
    Ya I know most of y hate them, and I know about the search, but ya think this is a good deal?

Costco has the 8000 pound one with the fairlead for 330 and costcos lifetime return policy.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11107204&whse=&topnav=&browse=&s=1

Don't forget the mounting bracket

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11107194&whse=&topnav=&browse=

The 2500 pound one is 109.

I also am thinking about getting the farmers jack

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11109718&whse=&topnav=&browse=

I also got their 15million candlepower flashlight the other day to take on the trail :) A friend of mine is getting me some BMW HID's to put in the blazer (replace front headlights, and 4 on a light bar) and one for the flashlight :). I need a bumper sticker that reads let there be light...

2. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

Honestly............Save your money.:usaflag:

3. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

The generic Hi-Lift is no steal. You can get it at HF for $40 or so on sale, and for the $60 you can prolly scrounge a real branded HiLift... seems to me I paid about that for my five-footer.

-- A

4. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

excuse my ignorance but what is wrong with them?

5. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Do you really want to haul that heavy POS back to the store when (not if, when) it s**ts the bed on you?

I know I wouldn't...

6. MrArmyAnt

MrArmyAnt 1/2 ton status

Texas, Kick a$$! (Grapevine, DFW; also Norman, OK)
    It's either that one or the old sideways sidewinder that is on there now...

7. Masiony

Masiony 1/2 ton status

when i go to buy a winch, it will be a milemarker. every (every) warn i have seen has always had problems. and all but one milemarker i have seen has been problem free.

but i would definitely get a 12,000 lbs one though.

and i got my 60" HL from 4wheelparts for $47

8. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Well, it's your back and your money - you're free to do whatever you'd like with 'em. :D

I personally don't see the point of buying a "cheap" winch just because you can return it if/when it breaks. That's just the way I am, though - I'd much rather save the money up and buy quality ONCE. I don't mind paying more for something that's high-quality and is a well-known performer.

9. MT wheeler

MT wheeler 1/2 ton status

I bought a MileMarker 12000 electric and it works great. Kinda strange though it did not look like the pictures of the MileMarker and when I took the solenoid box apart everything said T-Max. Hmm. It works good though.

10. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

I had always thought of mile marker as being a good quality winch. Are the costco ones different in any way?

11. otisringle

otisringle 1/2 ton status

seems like the mile marker is a damn good deal. cheap. How reliable are they?

12. Masiony

Masiony 1/2 ton status

ive seen one fail once. only once. i cant say the same for a warn...

13. MaxPF

MaxPF 1/2 ton status

Even if the Mile Marker winch was a good quality piece, I wouldn't buy it because it is made in China. Ditto for their hubs. Screw 'em - if they want to peddle Chinese ****, I'll buy Warn. End of discussion.

14. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Sorry, Im going to rant on this for a bit.

Why dont you stop buying Chevrolet, Dodge, and Ford- Since so much of their production is in Made outside the USA. And their peddling Canadian **** and mexican ****".

List of Most common things NOT MADE IN THE U.S.A. Anymore-

TV's, and most home electronics.
    Computers (except for a few brands)
    Technical support (for electronics, credit cards, banking)
    Most BMW's (except for the z3/4 and x5)
    Chevy Ford and Dodge Trucks
    at least 30% of the GM lineup is outside of the U.S, most of it being trucks. Look at your truck's build location.
    Most "less than top brand" tools- that includes Dewalt (which is including non USA parts/aseembly), Ryobi, and others that Home depot/Sears carry.
    80% of what you buy at walmart is not made in the U.S. (wonder what the other 20% consists of? Guns, Ammo, Motor oil, and a few other items).
    Check your underwear labels. My Fruit of the loom is made in Malaysia.
    My Nike's are made in the Phillipines.
    My Armatron watch? China
    My HP cell phone? Taiwan
    ---

Get with the times- the american labor force is just way too costly, and they dont make a superior product. Even the touted "best guns" in the world, arent american. the HK, the Glock, the Sig-sauer. Short of a few truly innovative pioneers (Barrett, Browning, maybe even Eugene stoner)- we are being beat.

Motorcycles- Harley has a good foothold, but its not because they make superior products. They just have a superior image.

Cars- We make some nice cars, but europeans dont want our stuff! (aka, trade deficit!)- For all the Kia's and other korean cars we buy, I think two years ago, we exported all of 20 vehicles to them! 20!!!!!

Things we make in the U.S.:
    Lawn Mowers (Its an american only phenomenon. Nobody else loves grass like we do.)
    some 30% Sugar
    some 60% of oranges
    Planes (boeing? who else is left? Say bye bye to mcdonald-douglass, and Lockheed)
    I still think we build a few good ships, but we're not the only ones.

Face it- its Americans slowly killing americans. And the big business men are making the money.

We dare say "china is using up all our concrete for their 3 gourge dam"- A rediculous statement, since we did sell it to them. Now there's price gouging so that it slows down american development.

We said the same about steel.

Now we say the same about oil. How china is using up all of the oil supply. Americans are absolutely the most wasteful in regards to oil use. Im not one to say that I dont use oil, but I dont try to hide the truth.

we have 230 million people. They have 1 billion.
    We are the number 1 user of energy.
    They are number 2.

However, there's a huge gap between what we consume, and what they consume. If this is a problem now, imagine how it will be when their energy requirements DO increase (and its only a matter of time).

Relax however- cheap chinese products will eventually disappear. They will only become expensive chinese products, that will compete globally with everyone else. There will be another developing country taking the place of China.

15. OffroadOverstock

OffroadOverstock 1/2 ton status

DITTO!

16. The Butcher

The Butcher 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I agree with everything else you said in your post, but I have to make a point about the above statement:

Answer: Because last time I checked Mexico and Canada were not communist countries. The disparity between the rich and the poor in China is mind-boggling. There is no middle class. You either have $, or you don't. There is no real middle ground. As someone else pointed out in the biodiesel thread from yesterday about volunteering at the coop "everyone working a little bit for the greater good of everyone means that the more people that work, the less each individual has to do. This is pretty much the concept of communism. And we all know how that worked out on a large scale...". (I para-phrased here, so cut me a little slack)

While China has made a go of communism, and it is making itself into a super-power to be reckond with in the global economy, how many of that 1 billion are actually benefitting from it? The number of those who are embracing the more capitalist ideals and political thoughts in that country are certainly on the rise, but where is the opportunity? There was an article in the paper the other day about the richest man in China whose story was the original "rags to riches" story. He made it, so why can't others? Because of lack of opportunity. While I completely agree that America's labor force is it's own worst enemy, China (or rather the communist party in control in China) has not exactly been that great to its people. Here is a little excerpt for you:

Between 1978 and 2003, 220 million Chinese rose above the poverty line. However, this success is undermined by the fact that, in 2003, the absolute number of Chinese living in poverty increased and that this number is very large - about 200 million earn less $1 per day. Furthermore, achievements on poverty are offset by regional unevenness, gender, HIV/AIDS and environmental issues which lag behind in progress and priority.

This again shows the disparity between the haves and have nots. If China is such an economic power, why is 1/5 of their population (roughly equvalent to the entire population of America) below poverty level?

The whole intention of my rant here is to point out that everything you said about America's work force is true, and I agree with you. But I also don't feel bad about NOT supporting other countries that have grossly neglected their citizens for years. Personally, I don't mind buying a Chinese product if it is a good deal, and the quality is there. But I certainly understand why some people might not want to. Although it is likely that most of the other people who boycott Chinese products haven't really put much thought into WHY they don't want to buy Chinese products other than it is "that Chinese cr@p!

Sorry for stealing your thread. I'll shut up now.

17. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Too bad Warn buys most if not all of their parts overseas. Motors are from Brazil, casting from China, ect.

All their steel work including bumpers, winch mounts, ect are out of Mexico now...

18. Mikey von

Mikey von 1/2 ton status

Your rant may be true, but if you look in our backyard, you will find the situation just as bad or WORSE! Capitalism works great for the rich and leaves everyone else behind. This trend intensified in the mid-70's.

25% of African Americans live in poverty. The top 1% controls 38% of the wealth. The top 5% of the people in this country control over 59% of the wealth in this country. The bottom 40% control 0.2% of the wealth. These are 1998 #'s.
    And the trend is accelerating.

This separation of wealth is far beyond any other country. Great Britain is second on the list with the top 1% there accounting for around 22% of the wealth.

Now the part that really gets me is how it affects our children. I am a teacher and everyday I have kids that come to school hungry. These kids are not hungry because they woke up to late and did not get a chance to eat. They are hungry because the last meal they ate was the free lunch provided at school. Over 25% of people under the age of 18 are at risk of malnutrition in this country due to poverty and greed. I can go on and on and on and .......

My point of this rant is; do not go blasting other countries policies when ours at home are by far the worse. I am not a Bush fan, but this started way before him. SO don’t just say I am a whining liberal. Communism may not have worked for USSR and is hurting China, but Capitalism and GREED WILL be the downfall of our great nation.

Oh yeah, this probably belongs in the lounge.

19. otisringle

otisringle 1/2 ton status

hmm, so would milemarker be a good buy?

20. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

My rant's probably just as good as yours: They might be hungry because their morbidly obese and never-married moms put their knees in different zip codes for this guy and that when they were teenagers and got knocked up, so that they could move out of their own unmarried mom's apartment, get their own apartment and monthly money from good ol' Uncle Sugar. Their children only have value to them because without the kids, the checks stop coming! That's why they don't care if their own kids get fed or not, but won't stop pumping them out. The check comes in the mail, AFDC, let's go shopping at liquor barn. Thank you LBJ and your "great society" boondogle that instead of ending poverty has just subsidized poverty, and thus created more of it, as subsidies never fail to do.