Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

mileage increase

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by crashfirepm53, Apr 4, 2004.

1. crashfirepm53

crashfirepm53 Registered Member

Is there any items that I can upgrade or replace with new that would increase my fuel effiency?91 tbi 350 sub.I'm thinking coil?TPS setting??Anything/

2. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

you could swap a honda motor in but that would be stupid. K5's will never get sood mileage. Where do you live? You should fill out your profile and be happy you dont live in cali like me

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You really need to post some specifics.

what kind of driving? how is the truck setup? (gears, engine, additional weight?) How about your driving habits?

Decreased speed and less stop and go will definitely increase mileage a measurable amount.

Even in my girlfriends car, that is capable of at best 32MPG@60MPH, she typically got 26MPG combined city/highway. I can get on average 30MPG out of the car in the same driving (same route, same time of day) the only (major)variable being the driver.

I can't stress enough that the way you drive is the largest influence on your MPG. Racing to the next stoplight and using your brakes, or racing to the back end of the car in front of you, is extremely wasteful of gas, and is amplified in heavy vehicles like we drive.

Since aerodynamic is a word GM engineers didn't know when these trucks were designed, (actually still true of trucks) the higher the speed, the worse your mileage will be on the freeway. True of cars and trucks, just that in trucks it is more pronounced.

With nothing other than a well tuned carb and a mild 350, my K5 got a best of 18MPG on the freeway, cruising right around 50-55MPH on pretty flat ground. Even taking off 2MPG for error, it's still pretty high for most on this board. 10-13 MPG in the city was the norm, but I'm not easy on it from light to light typically.

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I went from 36" tires with 3.73's and getting 9-10 mpg to 39.5's with 4.56's and average 16+ now.

A K5 can get good mileage...but you need a diesel to do it. I got rid of my carb'd gas sucking 350 and swapped in a 6.2 J-code diesel. Never looked back and haven't regreted it for a moment. It's way better on the rocks now too...

Rene