Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Mileage out of a Duramax?

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by K5Glazier, Dec 7, 2005.

1. K5Glazier

K5Glazier 1/2 ton status

Anyone have an idea how many miles a duramax is expected to last. I found an '02 2wd, 4dr, dually that was owned by a cadilac dealer, who used it only for towing. It registers 195000mi, but truck is super clean with all service records from dealer. I test drove it and drives like new, plenty of power, no scratches, no dings, this thing is emmaculate, but mileage scares me. These trucks sell for about $25000 and this one up for $19000. What do you guys think? Need to know quick before its gone.
    Thanks,
    Joe

2. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Having no experience, my gut feeling says pass on it.

195000 miles is a LOT, and if it was only used for towing, that is way different than a regular person's 195000 miles.

If it was like 1/2 the price of a comparable truck, then maybe, but your not really saving that much....

3. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

300-400K should be fine on any diesel truck... but the rest of the truck won't hold up as well as the motor. Best to low ball them and get a feeler for how much they are willing to deal.

4. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

check www.thedieselplace.com, ive driven trucks with 220,000 miles on them and they ran great. Supposedly over on TDP there are a few duramax's with over 300K on them that are running strong.

5. K5Glazier

K5Glazier 1/2 ton status

Great website. Thanks for the replys
    Joe

6. 1967k10

1967k10 1/2 ton status

There is a guy over on the Dieselplace.com with 420k.The truck itself will hold up much better than the other 2.I love mine.I only have 108k but think I will easily get 300k maybe even 400k if I keep it that long. Best truck I've ever owned or driven and I've driven them all. By the way I'm a regular over there.

7. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

I got 350,000 out of my TBI 350....That Duramax is just getting started....

8. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Well, the Dmax isn't exactly getting started at 350K, but it's got some life left in it. I would the truck that you are looking at should get a half million out of the Dmax motor.

I'd pounce on the truck. The real mileage is more like half that of normal people driving. If all it did was tow than it probably spent a ton of time out on the highway (had to of with that many miles on an '02) and the actuall hours on the truck are no where near traditionally equal to the miles. I bet small stuff like the door pins, interior items, seats, carpet are all in excellent shape obviously because someone gets into it once and drives 200miles. Not 20 miles and gets in and out of it 5 times like the usuall driver. Being that a dealership owned it you know they did a perfect job servicing it and when anything went wrong it was done by the GM guys, not Bills back yard wrench and wratchets.

MY grandfather has 300K on a '95 Powerstroke Ford, original motor that doesn't burn much oil and an amazing original E40D auto. He changes engine oil every 25K, and no, it's not synthetic. Has never changed trans oil. The Dodges are known for going 3-4-500K on the trucks with the Cummins running a full million. I'm sure the GM trucks could come close to hanging, if not get just as many miles as the average Ford or Dodge.

9. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

It's hard to say with a used vehicle.

Did they drive it normally and service it normally
    or
    Did they drive it like they stole it, put big HP/TQ tunes in it (and removed them before trade-in).

I've been a member on the diesel place for about a year now and have seen several high mileage motors.

There have been very FEW stock motors with major problems. The biggest problem with them has been the injectors, but they are covered under warranty and the new H.O. Dodge uses a similar design.

There are guys pounding the snot out of them and they are holding strong.

I pick up my new baby on Monday Sierra 2500HD CC 4WD SB, LBZ/Allison. I bought new because I will be financing for 5 years and want a 5 year warranty (on the motor) just in case.

If you have the extra cash and can take a gamble, then go for the used one. If it's been maintained, I'm sure you will get a long service life from the ENTIRE vehicle.

10. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

It was a dealer truck so I doubt it ever saw any boxes on it. Check his first post again, it wasn't a trade in but a dealer owned and used truck for the dealership. You pretty much can figure the dealership kept up on maintenance, and it may have been driven a little hard from employees. So what, all it could have done was wasted fuel. It can't hurt the motor really, and all I've heard about is how fancy and tough that Allison is.....:wink1:

But Cummins hasn't had a problem with them for some reason.

11. K5Glazier

K5Glazier 1/2 ton status

OK, after looking at all three major brands, I decided on a '99 ford PSD, 2wd diesel ,dually.
    Duramax's are nice but overpriced "in my opinion" and if my boss would have given me the OK, I probably would have bought one. Oh, did I mention, he bought it for me. :D Well anyway, most of the dodges I looked at were pretty well beat (body and interior wise). After about a month, I located this ford from an older guy who took very good care of it. He was asking $17900 and I offered him $16500 and he agreed. Here are some pics.
    My boss is so cool,:bow: it is my DD and I don't even tow anything at work, plus all vehicle expenses are paid by him. except the mods I intend to do.:D I guess it makes up for me using my own vehicle for two years, but he still took care of all the expenses. I even sold him the truck which he told me to name my price:grin: . OK, I'm done
    Joe

DSC01193 (568 x 426).jpg

DSC01194 (568 x 426).jpg

DSC01195 (568 x 426).jpg