Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

mileage - work transportation only - can it happen?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by four_by_ken, Dec 9, 2004.

1. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Posted by four_by_ken

Ok, I currently drive a reg cab 2wd S-10 4cyl man trans for my 40 miles one way trip to work.
    I got it cause it is cheap transportation to save wear on the tow rig. And to save money on gas.
    But, since this sucker only get 24 mpg no matter how I drive it... it has me thinking. Just thinking for now.
    If I didnt have to to drive so far, I would have a nice K5 or K10 with 6 inches of lift and 35s.
    That all being said... what could I expect....

Find a 6.2l K5 ot K10. Going around 35s as a starting point... what would be the best combo for mileage and mileage only.
    This wont be wheeled... to and from work transportation.
    I am guessing a 700R4 and 3.08s or 3.73? Would like to keep up with traffic... so cruising speed of say 65mph.

I just find it so hard to believe when I hear people getting 20+mpg. Is this really realistic?

========================================================

Posted by tRustyK5

CanmoreK5 has an 83 1/2 ton 2WD pick-up and has consistantly gotten 22-24 mpg on the freeway with it. Joez got 25 mpg a few times with his K5.

The best recipe I know of is not to raise the truck up too much, run some smooth AT's and get the cruise rpm's to be 1800 rpm or so in OD.

I'd go 4" lift and some 33" AT's with 3.73's and the 700R-4. Should have enough power for passing and have a cruise rpm of 1800 at 65 mph. Should also net you low to mid 20's for mileage. 22 mpg easy.

Rene

=====================================================

Posted by joez

I wish i had filled up before i hit the trail a few weeks ago, im pretty sure i was pulling well over 25mpg. The drive down to the badlands i ran 60mph in OD the whole way down, only pulled off or stopped for lights about 5 times. Motor was only turning about 1450 RPM the whole way down. After wheeling all day long it still averaged just over 20mpg on that tank overall.

I run a 700R4, Q78-15 TSL's, and 3.73 gears.

===================================================

Posted by Drey

With 31 Inch Goodyear Workhorses, axles with 3.08s (i think) in my K10 I could get 22-23. my OD would kick in right around 55, so cruising 60 or 65 would real easy on my motor. But my tranny has been getting weaker and weaker, OD kicking in and out, so I have been running it in 3rd alot more, not sure of mileage still around 18 I would guess. But in the last month of driveing it before putting it away for the winter, my Flexplate went out of circle so Its down for the count for awhile

2. four_by_ken

There... now this thread can continue.

:-)

3. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

It sure is. I get 20mpg in my 3/4ton 4x4 '01 dodge cummins. I probably weigh in excess of 7,000lbs too. 6.2's are known for their excellent mileage and I would imgaine getting more than 20 with the right gears and an OD would be fairly easily surpassed.

4. four_by_ken

I am trying to keep all Cummins talk out of this 'possible project' completely. This would have to be done simple and easy. I dont really think you can compare the 6.2 with a 5.9l Cummins in anyway.

I want either a K5 or a K10. And I want to get it with the diesel already in there. So, all I will have to is possbly gears if they are not correct, OD trans if need be, lift if need be and then tires if need be. No complicated swaps. I have enough of that going on already.:)

5. four_by_ken

6. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Back in the days when my K5 was a daily driver, I averaged around 18 mpg with a 700r4, 3.73 gears, 32" BFG muds, and stock suspension. That was about 50/50 between backroads/city and highway driving, and I usually ran it pretty hard. I never had any problem meeting or exceeding the speed limit......got two speeding tickets with it, one on a 55 mph back road and another on a 65 mph highway....

7. four_by_ken

I should have gone for a ride with you in KY. Even if it was just down the road and back.

8. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

Yep, www.thedieselpage.com is a great place to hang out. It's my home on the 'net, with ck5 coming in second. A lot of great guys, some of whom are some serious diesel fanatics. The small membership fee is the best money I've ever spent on my 6.2L.

Casey

9. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

It feels decent for city driving, but pretty doggy when you try to accelerate past about 40-50 mph.......of course the 38" tires and 4.10 gears don't help much. Also keep in mind my current daily driver has 300 hp, 4.10 gears, and tiney 245/75R16 tires so that's what I'm comparing it to. During one iteration as a daily driver, the K5 had 4.10's and 33's which felt pretty good.

10. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

What you want is a diesel 1/2 ton it will come with either 3.08 or 2.82 or 2.73 gears. Just put 31" tires on it and you should be good.
    If you want to go bigger tires just keep the RPM's at 1800-2000 at your cruising speed, that is your best mileage RPMs.
    I had a van with 2.73 gears and 32" tires and it was fine and great mileage on flat, on hills I had to shift manually so it doesn't overheat the tranny, still pulled fine loaded with camping gear and 15 people inside.
    :)

11. four_by_ken

I am thinking more that a pickup would be my best bet. I really like the bed of my S-10 for bring horse feed and pallets and stuff home. Plus parts its a parts carrier. :)

So, maybe anohter pickup will be best. I really want 4x4 though, or else no real reason to get rid of the S-10.

I might have to start looking and see if I can find soemthing.

12. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

To get over 20 MPG I think your going to need to keep the lift and bigger tires out of the equation though. I'm getting 17-18 in my '79 K10 with 4.10 gears in an 8 lug 10b/14SF and 285/75R16 tires (about 33" tall). This is with no lift, no OD either. Just an SM465/NP205.

I think I could get to or pass the 20 MPG mark with an OD alone. :thumb:

13. rjfguitar

I wasn't comparing a cummins to a 6.2. You said "I just find it so hard to believe when I hear people getting 20+mpg. Is this really realistic? " I just mentioned that it is realistic because that is what I get, and if anything a 6.2 should do even better on fuel in a much lighter vehicle.

14. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

You're spinning 2700 at 65 mph...I'm surprised you don't get even worse mileage. My truck on 40's gets near what you get spinning slightly less rpm's (2550 @ 65). If you had OD you'd be into the low 20's easy. The lift and big tires don't seem to hurt mileage that much, but rpm's sure do. I could break into the 20's with an OD...I'm 99% sure of it.

Rene

15. four_by_ken

Your right... I should have said

Find it hard to believe GM diesels are getting in the 20+ mpg range.
    :D

What, you cant read my mind on what I mean through the computer!?!?!?

16. four_by_ken

If your getting 17-18 with that set up.... it should be easily possible to get 20+.

Go to a 3.73... or higher... and add an OD trans. Still stick with 33s though. Trucks look stupid with anything smaller.

17. four_by_ken

How about the 6.5l Blazers?

18. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Talked to a guy at a gas station who had one, said he averaged about 20-22mpg.

19. rjfguitar

The GM diesels are excellent on fuel. They are hard to beat on economy and usually the power joke and cummins can't quite match them. I wonder sometimes it's because the 6.2 is usually found in lighter vehicles.

20. four_by_ken

Hmmm.... light... like an S-10?
    :whistle: