Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

milemarker 12k winch

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 4x4k20, Oct 31, 2005.

1. 4x4k20

4x4k20 1/2 ton status

i looking to buy one whats the differnce between the E and ES models electric winches? and does anybody have one ? is it worth the money? :confused:

2. 8t7jimmy

8t7jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I would like to know the same thing!

ttt

3. ProJunkRacing

ProJunkRacing 1/2 ton status

Tim Had a mile marker i was with him at real truck club challenge 2 years ago . all i have to say is great price crap product. His sits on the floor in his garage for a reason, he is probley eventually gonna put it on the trailer but for now a warn 9.5ti sits happy on his rig.

4. 78 k5

78 k5 1/2 ton status

My buddy and his dad both have the E12000 on their trucks (2500 Hemi Ram/F250 Powerstroke) and love them. The one on the F250 pulled my Sub on 40's out of an Alabama clay mud hole with the frame suctioned to the mud no problem, (And my Burb isn't exactly a light-weight) :D

5. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

I have one, biggest piece of sh!t. Sits on the floor in my storage. Just bought a warn 8274 to put on my k5

6. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I was in the same delema on buying a Mile Marker... from what im experienceing...the MM Hydraulics are good... but their electrics break ... unless you can find an older one that has been built in the US.. as supposedly a different material was made..

even the guys at ewinches.com dont like the es .. they say it has more plastic on it.. even the handle!!!!! :haha:

so now a ramsey patriot 15k is proudly displayed between my frame rails... hopefully soon get her all the way done.. except for the guy that sent me 20' black 3/0 wire and 20' red 4/0 wire....was supposed to be 3/0.... cant fit 3/0 ends on 4/0 cable!!!!! :doah:

[​IMG]

http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153236

7. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I have had 2 MM E12,000's and while I can not say I love them I can say that mine worked. They are a slow winch, no doubt about it but my old one never let me down. They do have one inherent flaw which is if you are pulling at an angle and get the cable bunched up in the corner it can cause a lot of pressure between the winch plate and the spool. My friend actually broke the case of his pulling me out once. He fixed it for $30 though and a little time. I highly reccomend going with a synthetic to help with the cable binding.

8. The Butcher

The Butcher 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I just bought a MM12000 a week or so ago from 4WP when they were having their online sale. $535.00 delivered to my door. Not a bad deal for a 12,000 lb winch. Especially since I will probably not use it a whole lot. If I found myself winching on a regular basis I could probably justify spending 2x the amount for a Warn, or I could just buy two MMs for the same price and not worry if I broke one.

9. RootBreaker

that was my mentallity on it too... however if ya got 1 and you break it and are Burried.... that would suck... not saying mine wont break... :haha:

the other funny thing is... people put winches on the front of their trucks... then when they get stuck in mud, goo, trails... they are nose deep.. and people have a winch to pull them in deeper :eek1:

hence why my first winch is out back.. electric.. so if motor dies hopefully can get back out where I came from.... eventually hydraulic or pto up front....

10. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

A valid point IF you mostly run in the mud. If you run trails then going backward just means your back where you started from. Not the ideal solution when trying to get up clay slickened grannet.

On the MM electrics; after see them in "action" I don't want any part of them. My used 8274 was cheeper and outperformed them. It is also more durable.

Of course this same post comes up every month. :rolleyes:

11. The Butcher

That's why mine is going on a multimount and I can switch it front to rear and from vehicle to vehicle. Maybe if I break this one I'll consider a Warn.

12. 79chevyk10

79chevyk10 1/2 ton status

Then you will have spent more money than if you bought a quality winch in the first place. :eek1:

13. ProJunkRacing

yeah i see what you're saying . when i get a winch it will be an m16.5 in the rear PTO up front if the motor is running you should go forward if it is dead then go back

14. The Butcher

How do you figure? If the MM doesn't break I will have saved money. I would bet there are plenty of people out there with MMs that work just fine.

15. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Just really think about it before you buy it, Don't say we didn't warn you when that piece of sh!t fails and leaves you standed when you really need it. I was very dissapointed when I got mine and broke it within 2 months, got maybe 4 uses out of it. "Motor took a dump, the bolt that holds the cable to the drum sheared, and was really slooooooowwwwww"

16. ProJunkRacing

You might have saved money now , but when it breaks and you are stranded on the trail will you have saved money? And as always there will always be some people that swear by them .
    I have either participated or watched Real truck the Last 2 years and all i have to say is all i have seen is broken unreliable milemarkers my money will be on a Warn once i build my bumpers I would say Warn Front and rear

17. RootBreaker

do you really think your going to hike 120+ lbs around.. to mount in front or back? maybe for a few times.. but my old @ss 32 year body... wont handle it... my winch and mount is about 135-150lbs!!!!!! :haha:

18. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

You guys talk like these are ticking time bombs :rolleyes: . I used mine at least 20 times over a 12 month period on myself and others (mostly others...cough cough :haha: ). I used it to pull a few salvage vehicles onto trailers, I pulled a tree stump with it...no problems ever. Now if I had a choice and a fat checking account I would buy an 8274 no doubt about it, not even a 2nd thought. But I wouldn't steer someone away from the MM.

19. RootBreaker

dont think were steering people away.. .few website forums .. .people with experience in them all have agreed that they have problems... but if yours is working... cool....

I wonder if going with the 15k was worth it... I lost 30' of cable.. .as my winch only came with 90' of 7/16 cable :haha:

20. 4x4k20

4x4k20 1/2 ton status

well you guys just talked me into not getting the milemarker :bow: