Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Milemarker hubs and 35-spline stubs

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by eldon519, Nov 18, 2003.

1. eldon519

eldon519 1/2 ton status

I could REALLY use some help on this. I've done searches and been sent to other threads but they are typically all about the Warn hubs. This problem has been keeping my truck off the trail for WAY too long. I got the 35-spline stub shafts for my Dana 60 and went with the Milemarker lockouts because everyone said that the Warns suck. Anyway, the lockouts won't go far enough into the hub/rotor assembly for me to fit the retaining ring into the groove in the hub. Does anyone know what limits how far in the lockout will go? I've already talked to Milemarker and they sent me a new set but they still don't fit. If anyone has any ideas it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Cory

2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

The 35 spline stubs are not really for D60s, they are D70 items. They are also about 3.8" (or so) longer. Warns have a similar problem where the hub will "lock itself" due to the stub rubbing on the dial. What some people do is cut 1/4" or so off the end. Another option is to use a special bearing/race assembly to push the stub back a bit, but I have no experience. Details and part numbers can be found by searching here and/or on PBB. Seems like Stephen posted some info on the bearing numbers at some time in the past…

3. eldon519

eldon519 1/2 ton status

Thanks, I wasn't sure if the fixes for the Warn hubs would apply to those for the Milemarkers. Since I don't need very much more clearance, do you think it would work just to grind it down with an angle grinder or is this the type of thing that needs to be done at a machine shop?

4. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

From my expirence (and many others) Milemarker arethe absolute WORST hubs for the 60---for the 30 spline anyway---i would assume the 35's are the same.

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

The MM hubs look to be very good quality for the D70 35 spline ones in the catalog. They're $$$ though.

6. eldon519

eldon519 1/2 ton status

Why do you hate them so bad? I read how alot of people hated the Warn ones as well so it sort of seems like a lose-lose situation unless you run slugs.

About them costing alot, you can get them with the 4wd Factory package for the same price as the Warns.

7. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

just had a real bad expirence w/ them---just got the 60, had little $$ for hubs--went ahead and bought the MM. FIRST time i went out to "test" the front (was on 37's but w/ the full front clip) went up a step up on the pass side (no more than a foot, and hard packed clay dirt mix)----POP!!---no pass tire turning---get it home take it apart---stripped all of the teeth on the inside---if you do a search here there are some pictures just type in MileMarker. lots of people on the pirate board have had the same issues.

Again this is w/ the 30 spline hubs, but I will never buy anything Milemarker. that hub shouldn't have broken where it broke.

i have had NO problem w/ my warn 35 spline hubs but will eventually go slug when i dont have to drive the truck to and from trails.

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    but I will never buy anything Milemarker

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno about that! My winch looks like a great value to me. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

9. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Not sure I would use an angle grinder, but it would probably work. I would probably use my band saw. <shrug>
    On the Mile Markers, it all depends on who you talk to. Dan had the worst luck I've ever heard of with his. My K30 was still running the same MM hubs that it had when decommissioned. PO ran small tires and a slide in camper for wheeling/fishing/whatever. I then ran them locked with 42s and it was not easy wheeling. I don’t get crazy with the throttle, but I do wheel some of the toughest trails around. They never let me down and I now have both of them in my "spare" box along with my 30 spline stubs (now 35 spline and slugs primarily due to adding a doubler).

It’s like Ford vs. GM, Chocolate vs. Vanilla, whatever… Peoples perception is different based on their personal experience. I’ve owned some Fords that were a PIA to me, GM has treated me well, so Fords must suck. But I have friends who would tell you the opposite word for word. Some people hate MM and have good luck with Warn, some hate Warns but have good luck with MM. I think that structurally they are pretty much the same and there is no clear winner just on engineering design and materials… If you really want *strong* find some old Spicers with the steel puck and forget any of the current mass market hubs...

10. eldon519

eldon519 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the reassurance BadDog, hopefully they will work out well for my uses.