Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Milemarker Hydraulic winch problem...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by oneofthefewbmx, Apr 26, 2006.

1. oneofthefewbmx

oneofthefewbmx 1/2 ton status

Ok I have brand new MileMarker 12k lb hydraulic winch courtesy of the ARMY and I am have trouble with it. Got it all hooked up spooled in about 10 ft and then wam. Nothing. I think it might have something to do with those magnetic solenoid things but I am not sure? Does anyone have any idea? Its getting power to the winch in and out wires when I push each button respectively but nothing happens except a real faint click in the solenoid. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. ProJunkRacing

ProJunkRacing 1/2 ton status

pictures help ;)

3. oneofthefewbmx

What do you want pictures of? There are just two wire and two hoses and they are both correctly hooked up. It was working and then it quit? I think its a solenoid. But don't know how to check. Could it be the hmmwv is a 24 volt system and my truck is 12? The solenoids between a 12v and a 24v hmmwv look exactly the same. I am baffled and have no book to this winch and can find nothing to do with the mil-spec winch on the i-net.

4. onlychevy6

onlychevy6 1/2 ton status

yes that is it. the military uses 24v and we use 12v. You can get the coversion kit through 4 wheel parts. you nedd two silenoids. I have the same winch. or try this place. Mile marker referred them to me. www.winchesplus.com

5. oneofthefewbmx

Ok thanks for the info. I had come to that conclusion because it will work for a few minutes but then it quits. If you let it cool off it will start working again, so I will check into those new solenoids. One other question. The controller I have has an in and an out. It had three wires. I made one positive and the other two to the winch. It will only spool one way. Could that be a faulty solenoid? When I test it with a test light it is getting power to both solenoids, when I push in it goes to one and out it goes to the other. But its only spooling one way. I don't think it is the controller, because it is sending power to each one when its supposed to. What do you think?

6. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

If you change the solenoids, it should take care of both problems. Sounds like one solenoid is barely activating and the other isn't activating.