Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

MileMarker Hydraulic Winches

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by smartpatrol, Mar 12, 2002.

1. smartpatrol

smartpatrol Registered Member

Anyone running one? I haven't bought a winch yet and the hydraulic winches are more appealing than the battery powered ones at this point. However i value anyones opinion on the pro and cons of such a winch.

2. Stomp

Stomp 1/2 ton status

Hydraulic+motor not running=no winch power
    The biggest con

3. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Right, but that is pretty much the same problem with an electric winch too, right? If the engine is off, what battery(ies) can keep up with that kind of draw?

4. Stomp

Stomp 1/2 ton status

True. As far as draw and battery power, I guess that depends on how far you have to winch. Some winch is better than no winch

5. Dieselmh

Dieselmh 1/2 ton status

You could also get an aux. electric pump to run the winch if the engine dies, but you're still relying on battery power then. I don't have any good info, but I've been checking out the Milemarkers too.

6. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

From what I have seen on the trail the typical winch pull is probably only 5-10 feet. If your battery is in good condition it should have no problem pulling that distance, or further, and still be able to restart the engine. A perfect example is during a rollover recovery or if you drown the engine out in a mud hole.

All in all, I've just seen too many non-running vehicles use their electric winch during recovery to ever want a hydraulic.....for trail use anyway. For work or farm use when sustained pulls are necessary, than a hydraulic might be better.

7. hammer

hammer 1/2 ton status

if you are rolled over or you are in a mud hole isn't there somebody else to pull you out if your engine is not running. with electic or hydraulic you would have this problem. but for long dytycycle time like for farm work wouldn't it be better to have hydraulic. I was looking at the mile marker hydro winch also

8. smartpatrol

Thanks for all you input so far. SInce the milemarker winches are roughly the same price as the warn winches. It seems they may be a decent alternative.

9. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

hey, anyone know if running a hydro winch precludes the possibility of using hydro-boost steering?

J

10. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

SLOOOOOOOOWWWWWW WINCH....Did I mention just how SLOOOOOoooooowwwwww they are? They are real slow.
    They also have a VERY nasty habit of jumping into Free spool. After knowing somebody with one that duped it for electric.....I won't buy one. They also tend to fry power steering fluid even with a cooler.
    A big issue when wheeling is often the truck will catch traction and if you stay in it you no longer need to winch but the slow winches you run the real possiblility of driving over the cable. I have seen it too often. If you had better line speed then you could have gotten out quicker but had to stop to keep from running over the cable or bird nesting the cable because it lost tension. I'm getting a HS9500i. I would get a 8274 but my winch bumper will not occomidate it.

11. smartpatrol

Defintely nasty cons. Thanks

12. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

Been running one for several years and like it! It runs fine with hydroboost. I know that I am in the minority but just my 2 cents.

13. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Do a search on this one, there's been a lot posted on this in the past.

14. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Maybe really a matter of what type of wheeling you do. (Us) mud guys really want/need extended duty HD winching (I've seen axles dislocate getting dragged thru the gumbo). Rock guys want fast line speed to get unhung without birdsnesting, operational even if they're on their head.

I'm really surprised no one fabbed up a winch with it's own small engine. Two cycle could run at most any angle, alot more H.P. than any electric, line speed to keep up with anyone, and no cooked solenoids/motors. Just the thing for those Triatholon events!

15. smartpatrol

Very cool idea i bet it would not be that hard to mount a weed wacker engine to one.

16. if you are going to have the motor running to winch why not go PTO. i had one on my old heep and it kicked ass. i found a place that sells the drive unit for my 203 so i'm leaning that way.

17. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

8000# winch is on the small side for a truck
    never seen the 8274 in action but i doubt the line speed is so fast as to outrun the truck
    get the 'spotter'/copilot to grab the line when it goes full slack
    I would rather have a slow winch that really pulls then a fast winch that barely pulls
    kinda in the same boat as an impact wrench that cant loosen the tight bolts, whats the point

18. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

PTO hydraulic pump is the way to go
    PTO driveline looks like a PITA

19. haven't heard of those? more info. got any links?

20. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.munciepower.com/main/PTO.htm#FA>muncie</a>

these guys are big name