Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

MileMarker Hydraulic Winches???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by OffRoader93, Oct 6, 2003.

1. OffRoader93

OffRoader93 1/2 ton status

Do hydraulic winches use the existing power steering pump or do you have to add one? Thanks.

2. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

yes. they use the stock one

...they are very SSSLLLOOOOOWWWWWWWWWW>......Then when you put them in high, they hardly have in power. Buy an electric....

Rob

3. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

They can use a stock PS pump, as long as your pump is in good shape. As for the speed-

My stock one does fine. I dont find it any slower compared to any other ones that do the same weight. (with the exception of the 8270, or whatever warn model that is). High speed is faster than any electric that I have seen (Im sure there are faster ones) and low speed is pretty darn slow, but under a full load, the hydrolic one barely slows down. thats the true beauty of the MM hydro winch. It doesnt konk out under extremely hard and heavy use.

If you are really worried about the speed, you can get a High output power steering pump and an inline cooler.

This link below will give you a rundown on the different pro's and cons of each winch.

4. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

pook no link

5. 89BlazerK5

89BlazerK5 1/2 ton status

get the winch test free video that Mile Marker did. it's pretty neat.

6. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

...and totaly unbiased

7. K5BLT4FUN

K5BLT4FUN 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I presently have a MM 10500 lb. winch on my 88 Blazer. It is connected to a new power steering pump. Yes they are slow speed winches, but I don't see where that is a big issue unless you are competing and time matters. Mine is a 2 speed winch. As stated earier the high speed is much faster, but has less load capacity. I have used mine to move a Mobile Home, that had triple axles and was buried up to the frame in mud. Had to move it over 100 yards to solid ground. I had to use a snatch block to get it unstuck, but after that it was just a matter of backing up and the reeling it in. I had to use mine in Moab to pull myself and another blazer up several walls that were nearly vertical. I liked the fact that it was slow then, much better control. Just my experienced opinion. The only real short fall of the Hydraulic winch is, if the engine is not running then neither is the winch. An electric will possibly get you out of a situation if the engine died, but for long duration, heavy duty use, I will stick with my MM Hydraulic. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status