Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Milemarker Winch

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by JoeAngelicchio, Jul 16, 2001.

1. JoeAngelicchio

JoeAngelicchio 1/2 ton status

Stephen,
    Did you replace the Milemarker for an Electric winch and why?

<font color=green>Joe Angelicchio
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/jangelicchio>http://community.webshots.com/user/jangelicchio</a>

Lisle, Ontario, CANADA</font color=green>

2. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Yup, have a HS9500i on it now. Only reason I didn't stick with the hydraulic was time. The warn bolted directly into my cradle (with a little torch work) and only required "plumbing" 2 big wires, as opposed to the hydraulic needing to be totally re-plumbed since the tires can occupy the space the valve and reservoir once sat in. And my shock reservoirs ended up where the pump would have to be mounted.
    I really missed the hydraulic winch in the logs at TTC. the elec is SLOWWWWWWW. My hydraulic setup just reels the line in even under heavy load, and speed is controlled by motor speed and valve position. I'm sure it'll do 30 ft/min under max load pretty easily, but the elec does like 2 feet/min under max load.
    Otherwise, the elec seems fine, I normally don't need to do really long pulls, and don't usually pull against logs like at TTC. But I'll probably be looking for places to put the hydraulic winch components later. Maybe this winter.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    [image][/image]
    SW-ORD

3. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I think that new Ramsey "purple passion" winch would look sweet on your jimmy, would even match your bug shield too. [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.ramsey.com/bad_boy.html>http://www.ramsey.com/bad_boy.html</a>

Steve

Bandwidth FREE ZONE

Mall-Running poseur 4x4 with curb-feelers

4. Stephen

Now you know that purple just would not coordinate with my blue winch rope and yellow hook! And would especially clash with the green paint.

[image][/image]
    SW-ORD

5. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

I keep coming back to looking at a hydraulic winch. I have been told that they burn up power steerinf pumps, but just get a new one to start with and a cooler and I think it would be ok. I have also been told they are real slow. But hey.

The big thing I dont like that I heard was the loss of steering power while winching. Is this true?

I like the idea of being able to winch for a long time and not worry as much as with an electric.

Thanks
    Ken H.

6. Stephen

I personally wouldn't be too interested in a mile marker set up with all their parts, they're really slow, or you have to switch gears to go faster. I'm kind of spoiled now.
    One thing to consider is the fact that they do have some kind of military contract, and the military doesn't mess around with it's equipment much. You know they have to work pretty well if they use them.
    The only hyd winch I've seen driven off the power steering was on steve frisbie's truck and it worked ok, but was slow in low gear and wouldn't pull hard enough in high gear. I think when they're set up right, they'll be durable and strong, just slow. A power steering pump just doesn' t make enough horsepower to really reel you in fast, that's just the way it is. But neither does an electric winch motor, like I said above, when it's pulling hard, I get bored waiting on the elec. to pull! Of course it's wicked fast when it's unloaded which is nice sometimes.

Mine runs (ran) on it's own dedicated high output hyd pump, with a dedicated valve to operate it. It did about everything you could ask of it except run when the motor's off. Which I've found isn't a really huge deal.

SW-ORD

7. Nitrodrip350

Nitrodrip350 1/2 ton status

I think that I read some where ( I think an old issue of 4Wheeler) that they did a test and the pump actually ran cooler, I've never heard that you lose your power steering! The only thing that I get nervous is if you engine dies so does the winch, and with no Fuel Inj. that could suck for me if I stalled her ....

79' K5 Body Hurting But Runs Great!!

8. James90

James90 1/2 ton status

Stephen

what kind of hydraulic winch did you use?

thanks

I'm Back BACK IN BLACK

<a target="_blank" href=http://photos.yahoo.com/jwileywilliamson>photos.yahoo.com/jwileywilliamson</a>

9. Stephen

The winch body was a mile marker 10K or 10.5K. I started with a 7K# body and couldn't get enough pressure from a single belt on the pump to make it pull hard. So I went to the larger slower winch and it still worked well. Pull was somewhere around 12,500# with the dedicated pump and a single drivebelt on the 10.5 winch body.

SW-ORD
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.offroaddesign.com>www.offroaddesign.com</a>

10. James90

James90 1/2 ton status

how much costom work does it take to make a set up like that work?

I'm Back BACK IN BLACK

<a target="_blank" href=http://photos.yahoo.com/jwileywilliamson>photos.yahoo.com/jwileywilliamson</a>

11. mudrunner78

mudrunner78 1/2 ton status

the military uses both milemarker and warn winches, our hummvee's both the M1026 and M1114 use warn electric winches set up for 24 volt the m1114 which weighs almost 5 tons has a 9000lb warn winch mounted on the rear, with snatch blocks its not to bad. saved my hyde a few times.

12. Stephen

It's all custom work. I had to mount the hyd. pump, mount the valve, route the control rod, plumb it all, and mount the winch. The plumbing was a big part of it. Hyd. hoses the size you need to use on the pump and valve do not like to bend and require pretty precise placement of the individual components so they work properly. The whole project requires a pretty good understanding of hydraulic power flow also, just so you can buy the right parts to achieve what you want. It was fun for me, but I'm a little sick that way.

SW-ORD
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.offroaddesign.com>www.offroaddesign.com</a>