Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Milemarker winch.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Dieselmh, Apr 17, 2002.

1. Dieselmh

Dieselmh 1/2 ton status

I've posted this in both the 1st and 2nd gen boards, but didn't get any replies. I'm hoping that someone can give me some advice and/or suggestions. I can buy a brand new 10,500 lbs milemarker winch for $775. My first question is, is this a good deal. Also, is there any way that I can run the winch off of my power steering pump and/or an electric pump. I like the fact that they use the steering pump, but I would also like to be able to run it off of an electric pump hooked to my backup battery in case my truck dies. Is it possible to hook it up to my steering pump and an electric pump without causing problems? Are there any good/bad things I should know about the milemarker?

2. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

My dad is dead set on getting a mile marker for his cruiser and I've been trying to talk him out of it. Don't think it's going to work though. There's no doubt that they're a stronger winch. But there's 2 factors that make me not want one on a 4x4.

1) They're slower than bejeebus. When you need to take up the slack because you're holding your brakes on a hill, they just cant do it as fast as I'd like.

2) They dont work with the engine off. So you roll and need the winch to flip back over. Wont work. Your engine is fried and you need the winch to get back on the trailer. Wont work. Engine is flooded cause you're sitting in deep water and you dont want to fire it off until you get out. Guess what? You aren't getting out since your winch went dead with your engine.

Just my .02. You can get an 8274-50, the most bulletproof of electric winches and fastest, for $850. Why go hydraulic?

3. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

If you do go with the Mile Marker, run a power steering cooler. You would'nt want to lose your winch and your power steering at the same time. For that kind of cash, you can get a decent electric.

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Even if you install an electric pump, it will have to have a VERY beefy electric motor. It's takes some serious power to create 10,000 lbs of pull, regardless of the mechanism used to generate that pull.