Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Milemarker Winches

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by guido666, Nov 20, 2005.

1. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

A little while ago while inquiring about winches in this thread http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155132&highlight=electric+hydraulic it was suggested that I contact MileMarker for their winch video. Well it came yesterday and I think it is excellent. It also sheds some light on why the MileMarker 12k winches "suck so much" as described here http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154078&highlight=electric+hydraulic.

In the videos they compare 9k winches from various manufacturers (SuperWinch, Warn, Ramsey, and of course themselves [both electric and hydraulic]). The MileMarker winches do have thicker cable, which were the only ones that the winch didn't break for their stall test. When they did their test their own MileMarker winch did suck ass. But they attributed it to the cheap price (can't argue there). Of course the hydraulic was able to do the job a little differently, continuous duty wise.

But the real breakthrough was when they busted out the 12k MileMarker to compare to the 9k winches. It made me realize their strategy. The 12k winch was only meant to compete with the 9k competitor's winches. In doing so, it happened to be a 12k strong winch, but when competing on the 9k range, it's a good choice.

I know a lot of people talk about cases splitting and whatnot, but if you were using it in a task that was more suited to a 9k (like a J**p) it may be ok.

Thoughts? (And I know someone is going to just flame what a collosal pile of crap MileMarker electric winches are.)

2. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

I also recommend that anyone new to winches go get a video from them, FREE.

3. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

I have one on the front of my rig and it's doing okay. I just had to winch myself out of a hole sideways because I busted the front u-joint and was burried in 3 foot deep mud with water up to my doors (8" lift and 44" tires) I ended up winching 200 feet through that stuff... first pull was to turn around and second to pull out of the swamp through mud I hadn't been through before. The winch was slow but it worked flawlessly and I was glad to have it. I think that day I used the winch at least 10 times and used almost all of the 100 feet of cable avalable to me. It might not be the fastest/strongest, but the price was right and it did the job, more than once. In the future I plan on a milemarker hydraulic up front and I'll retire the electric one for rear use. Also note that this winch is fairly light and compact enough to fit between the frame rails. :wink1:

4. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

I ordered the DVD also.......I bought a WARN.