Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Military/army goretex jacket?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 84gmcjimmy, Sep 10, 2005.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Is this the jacket that the us army issues for soilders?

Just curious.

2. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

USMC has 3 different gortex designs. two phased out by the third. we also get pants to match.

they are nice, BUT ya have to get a liner for them for REAL cold areas. USMC does not supply the zip in one, but we do get a nice fleece. i like them big time. they are nice. just have to treat them ever 6 months if being used a lot or yearly if not much.
    GRant

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

what design (1,2,3) was the one I linked too? Or is it hard to tell apart?
    How do you get the liners?

I looked on ebay, and some of them are just the coretex material with a thin liner. Are those just for waterproofing in not so cold areas?

4. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I have probably what is considered the first design since I got it right after they started coming out. I love it and still have it after 12 years. Does need to be retreated to be waterproof..............

5. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

what do you retreeat it with, and how?

Thanks bubba

6. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

To ID them the first version we used only had a pocket on one are and a very big hood, the second version had pockets on both arms and more practical hood that can rolled up faster, the third has the digital pattern on it. They are nice both for the cold nothing beats the field jacket, untill it starts raining :rolleyes:

7. Seventy4Blazer

umm.. i dont see a link of picture, so i dont know.

the liners can be had ar goretex.com

ours are the same kinda deal, wind blocking and and water, but not for cold. hence the fleece.

if its the new digital pattern then its one of the newer makes. if its old style camo then its the first gen goretex.

Grant

8. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

9. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

is this the feild jacket? are you being sarcastic, or does it not provide protection against rain?

http://www.uscav.com/Productinfo.aspx?productID=5294&TabID=1

10. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

11. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Yes, that's the field jacket. It's made out of some sort of cotton type material; I'm not real sure what it is. The only use they were during my time in after basic was hanging in the wall locker and for duffel bag inspections. It is definately not water proof.

12. Seventy4Blazer

it is 100% cotton. together they are great and normaly too warm.

the first picture is first gen, the second is second gen. the third is not posted, but the new digital pattern and different pockets. it is better than the rest and with the new fleece and poly propaline long jons is NICE!!

layers are the key and the services know this. they also changed out the black knit nightwatch cap or rather added a fleece cap. MUCH nicer.
    grant

13. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

couldn't find the digital pattern yet.

I found the fleece that goes inside them (or says they do) for the 2nd gen's I think.

I read somewhere the feild jackets soak up the water making them cold and heavy. no thanks :eek1:

so does the fleece snap into the gortex material, then its water proof and warm? Then to make it warmer you wear more layers...of what? What is poly propaline?

Thanks.

14. Seventy4Blazer

no, the fleece is a pull over. made by.... polartec

it has a pocket on the front and as far as i know is USMC only as it has the USMC seal on the back. we have to wear it undersomething though... Gay

the field jacket will get VERY heavy and is all coton. they used to have "gumby suits" that went over those. a thin rubber twp part suit. waterproof as all hell, but ya can NOT breath in it. the gortex has zip up armpits and other vents. much nicer in my eyes.
    Grant

15. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

alright thanks. Thinking about a jacket like that for when i finally camp this year...
    Thanks for the help.

16. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

Gore-tex is nice, but very expensive. That jacket is a good shell, but is way to heavy to carry backpacking except in winter. I think my winter shell was ~$150 and my summer one ~$50. Might wanna look around some more.

17. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

I have a North Face goretex jacket. It's waterproof and very warm. You should also look at Moonstone jackets. They make clothing for people who do ice climbing. I had a roommate in college who use to work for them and had the pleasure of borrowing his jacket once. Laid down in the snow for 10 mins and didn't the cold. Basically you want a breathable material, something the lets the water vapor out (sweat), keeps the heat in, and keeps moisture out.

18. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

So it would be okay for the winter, but the plain shell wouldn't be good for summer?

What ones do you have? Where did you get them? How do I know which is winter and which is summer? Are they thicker vs thinner?

Moonstone, does that use fabric simular to gortex? I'm on there site now...

Whats the difference between a hard shell and a soft shell? Is one material stiffer than thee other?

Thanks...anymore suggestions for a good jacket then?

19. destinbeachman

destinbeachman 1/2 ton status

Hard shells are for full on sideways-blowing rain or whiteout blizzard stuff.They generally are about 2 to 3 times heavier and take up more space when rolled up because most of them have a inner liner for durability and to help wick(draw) moisture away from your bod.Soft shells usually have only one layer,are very lightweight and can be rolled up into a very small package-like into their own pocket.Both are called shells because they only provide protection from the rain,snow and wind.In cold temps you have to wear insulation(fleece is my fave)under them.Check out Patagonia,North Face,Columbia,Mountain Hardwear,etc... Gottit?

20. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

okay thanks that answers the question :)