Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Military Axels - M1008

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by cuervo, May 21, 2004.

1. cuervo

cuervo Wears Boob Goggles! Premium Member

Hello all,

Is there anyone with info on these axels? The M1008 is a full size GMC/Chevy with 6.2 motor, I believe. Other then that, I really don't know much about these trucks.

They appear to be Dana 60 axels, are they? If so, are they good upgrades for a stock CK5/Jimmy?

Thanks

2. prerunner1982

prerunner1982 1/2 ton status

the military trucks are 1 1/4 ton rated and the blazers are 3/4 ton rated. any drivetrain component would be a good upgrade for a 1/2ton truck/blazer.

3. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

M1008= 6.2/th400/208 with a D60 front and 14ff rear. Now most had a Detroit in the rear. All had 4:56 gears. Some had Trac Lok's in the front. Very few had 205 t cases in them.

The K5's had 6.2/th400/208 with 10 bolt axles, 3:08 gears and a Gov Lock in the rear.

4. cuervo

Are widths of the M1008 the same as a Jimmy/Blazer? Will the sping pads need to be moved?

5. cuervo

Come on guys, help a "newbie" out with his first major upgrade quest.

6. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    Are widths of the M1008 the same as a Jimmy/Blazer? Will the sping pads need to be moved?

[/ QUOTE ]

rear pads will need to be moved /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Front is a bolt in, rear pads will need moved and you will need a conversion u joint. Depending on the year of your K5 depends on if the e brakes are a bolt in.

8. cuervo

Thanks guys!

I have an 87 Jimmy that will get these axels so I guess it should be pretty straight-forward with install. I guess if I need to put on new rear pads I'll be able to set the degree with them instead of shims.

9. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Thanks guys!

I have an 87 Jimmy that will get these axels so I guess it should be pretty straight-forward with install. I guess if I need to put on new rear pads I'll be able to set the degree with them instead of shims.

[/ QUOTE ]

The rear e brake cables will work on your 87. Conversion ujoint is Napa part #447, and yes you can set pinion angle with the spring pads. Here is what I would do. Put the axle in with the pads not welded to the axle. Once it is under and bolted up you can use a jack to set the pinion angle. Once it is set tack them on good but do not weld them solid. Take it for a spin but be light on the gas when starting out. If it does not vibrate then you can weld it up the rest of the way. I made the mistake of welding them solid on the first swap I did. I had the angle set and took it out and it vibrated like mad from about 45 to 60 mph. Wound up pointing the pinion straight at the t case. It looked like I should have had a rear CV shaft but I didn't.