Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

military base life?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 85 Jimmy, Feb 3, 2007.

1. 85 Jimmy

85 Jimmy Sheepdog Premium Member

i leave for bootcamp in a few weeks and have a few questions about life on base after training...

really all my questions are about working on my truck... i have alot of plans for my truck like another lift and 1 tons and doing a TPI swap, there's alot more but you guys get the picture.
    anyway are there places on base were i can do all this and they don't care? will i be able to keep parts tucked away like axles until i'm ready to install them?

if this helps i'm going into the navy and will be a CM

2. broke73

broke73 1/2 ton status

When I was in the Nav 7 years ago they had hobby shops on a lot of the bases where you could work on your car. Pretty bad ass actually because you can use there tools, lifts, paint booths and such. They charge but not a whole lot. I used to work on my cars there all the time they even let you rent a spot by the month if you want. As far as storing parts I'd just get a storage unit in town until you ready to put stuff together.

3. Col_Sanders

Col_Sanders 3/4 ton status

Well, you will be living in the barracks if you arent married. Unfortunately you cant work on your vehicles in the parking lots or anything. You can go to the hobby shop, which is cool because they do supply the tools. Booth time is cheap and so is tool rental. They have people working there to provide verbal help. They cant lend a hand for liability reasons though.

You can leave your truck in the booth normally, but you have to pay for it the whole time they are open, whether you are working on it or not. They have storage outside that you can leave it in and pay by the day. BUT you cant work on your truck in the storage lot, only in the building. As for storing parts, You will probably have to get a storage unit. Some bases have them but I dont know the prices.

Good luck man, boot camp is easy. They mainly try to teach you to pay attention to detail and look out for each other. They juat have a different way of teaching.:rolleyes:

4. uberbeans

uberbeans 1/2 ton status

I've done multiple engine swaps and a body swap at Navy bases. They are a stickler for cleanliness and safety but they supply all the tools, lifts, lathes, welders, etc. (for cheap). You can even leave vehicles there that can't get fixed right away. Forever if your constantly working on them. A really great benefit to service members.

5. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

While living in the Barracks you will need to use the Auto Hobby Shop on base. Some are great and some suck. Most of them are for the better though.

I do everything in my garage now. Easier and free.

6. Col_Sanders

The only problem with borrowing anything from the base is that they want it spotless when they get it back and they want you to always wear eye protection and stuff. When I used to mow my yard on base housing with their mower, I had to wear goggles and bring the mower back looking like new.

7. bigbluesuburban

bigbluesuburban 1/2 ton status

The Hobby Shop on Base is a beautiful place. I practically lived there when I was in Marines. It is usually run by a retired enlisted, or a civilian. And no matter what, do everything you can to get along with this person. They can make your life excellent or hellish. If you are going to be a permanent fixture in the hobby shop then be willing to help out a little and it will go a long ways.

Just some stuff from my experiences.

8. 85 Jimmy

right now i'm a tech... are there normally alot of people that need work done to there cars on base, i could use some side jobs

9. Col_Sanders

You can normally find someone. Generally buildings have a bulletin board you can use.

10. bigbluesuburban

bigbluesuburban 1/2 ton status

Yes, there are plenty of non-mechanics out there.

Now I think I gathered that you are going into the Navy, so this next bit of advice may not apply so much, but still keep it in mind.

I found that when I did work for people of higher rank, I sometimes had trouble explaining to them when things didn't go perfectly on their vehicles. Stuff that they would not have even questioned at a commercial shop they felt that they could beat me up on because of their rank over me. The Marines tend to have a really rigid rank heiarchy even when you out of uniform. This may not be such a problem in other branches. I don't know.

What I am saying is use LOTS of tact. And since you are already a tech in the civilian world you will have some expertise and credentials that will help you out. Also, if you are NOT an 18 year old straight out of high school, straight into boot camp with no real life experience you will do better as well. A little age makes up for some missing rank when it comes to communicating with your superiors both in uniform and out of uniform.

But the short answer to you question.. YES, there an incompetent ignorant mechanically declined people all over in the military, just look in Admin, Supply, and Military Police... oh and suprisingly... Motor Transport (go figure)

11. cabledawg

cabledawg Secret Squirrel Premium Member

Cant forget Communications! In a squadron of 120 or so, I have been dubbed the squadron's life saving mechanic. And really I'm not that good, but when you're the only one who knows what a friggin wrench is...

12. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

Well, I'd say it's a post to post thing. What I can tell you about Fort Hood is this:

1. Don't work on your junk in the barracks parking lot (single soldier's). If you do, your TOAST

2. There is a garage, self working, called Sproket's. You can work on your vehicle there, and rent the garage for $3-$5 per hour. They have all the tools and lifts.

3. Make sure your junk is not crappy looking. It'll draw attention and you'll catch crap.

4. Don't make your mods openly. Sadly, there is little honor amongst certain types of soldiers...aka...theives. Sorry, just tellin' it like it is.

Best bet is to battle up with someone off post or on post, who has a garage and your activities can be out of sight, out of mind.

Each military establishment differs, so check with your chain of command.

That's about the best wisdom I can give you.

Manny

13. 84 K5 4x4

84 K5 4x4 1/2 ton status

I don't know where you guys are stationed but I'm at Camp Lejeune NC and i can't tell you how many times I have done stuff in the parking lot at the Barracks (Before I got Married). I tore my 5speed that was in my s10 down on the tailgate of it when it was on jack stands in the parking lot. Maybe i just got lucky But I really dont think they care round here.:D

14. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

Like these guys said, it really depends on where you are stationed at. When I was at Whiteman AFB, Mo. they really didn't say anything when I worked on my truck in the parking lot. Nellis AFB, Nv was a totally different story. I didn't live in the dorms there, but the guys who did said they could barely check their oil without getting griped at. I'm at Offutt AFB, Ne now and I haven't heard much about the dorms here.

When you get to your first station, check with your dorm manager and your chain of command to find out what the base policies are. Use the hobby shop like the others said. It's cheap and it's been a life saver for me at times. And like they said, get in good with the guys that work there. That helps out immensely too. When I was at Nellis I could walk into the hobby shop and they would let me borrow tools, use their tire machine, torch, press etc. for free. They only time they charged me was when I used a stall or had rotors or drums turned. :D

Rick

15. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

It all depends on who sees you working in the parking lot.

A friend of mine (parked his truck right next to mine) converted his 2WD F-150 to 4WD in the parking lot.

Me, I got a ticket and an ass-chewing for changing the starter on my S-10 blazer. But, previously, I had my K5 up on the curb changing the diff fluid no problem :dunno:

16. littlejimmythatcould

littlejimmythatcould 1/2 ton status

One of the techs at my base's hobby shop is a retired guy in my same career field and is pretty cool. I have painted a truck in my driveway in base housing but I caught hell from base housing and they called my first sergeant and he just told me to "expedite my painting", but now the base housing people are actually glad I painted my truck and it's not an "eyesore". The hobby shop raised their rates so I will be dropping a motor in my next project truck in my driveway (at night). We dropped the motor in my Jimmy in the really nice section of base housing and we got some dirty looks from officers and SNCOs as they drove by. Depeding on your base they may or may not approve of (in my 1st sergeant's words) "hillbillying it up in base housing".

17. 85 Jimmy

ok, thanks for all the input. here's another question for you guys. as i stated earlier, i'm a tech now, i have all my own tools and stuff, can i have that in my housing or will i need to rent a place to keep all that?

18. Col_Sanders

We talkin 3 drawer tool chest or rolling Matco box?

Throughout your school you will more than likely be in a small barracks room with someone you dont know (at first) and you will not have a whole lot of locked space to play with if. Also, it is possible he could be a low life and have low life friends. Boot camp doesnt weed them all out.

I would hold off on bringing too many tools until you get to a place you will be for a while. Not sure on how long your school is, but if its only a couple months it probably wouldnt worth the hassle. Really as long as you are in the barracks (could be in them at permanent duty station since some dont let certain paygrades live out in town unless you're married) You would probably need a storage unit. Would be good anyway so you could also have a place to store and work on the truck.

19. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Leave everything at home. You won;t have room for all that stuff for a while.

20. Lucky

Lucky Registered Member

Just curious IF you know where you will get stationed.

If for some reason you get sent to say South Korea, then they have these little rules that no one under the rank of E-6 can own a POV (personally owned vehicle). For USAF folks, that meant that we had to be a Tech Sgt. before we could buy or even drive a POV.
    Command Sponsored personnel can get a waiver.

Sometimes it seems like an insult, when a Staff Sgt. with over 5 years in service, cannot own or drive a POV, yet some Lt's 16-year old kid CAN.

And base Auto Hobby Shops really are life savers, and the people that run them are almost always ex-NCO's, and getting on their good side will help more than just a bit.

I completely rebuilt 2 Harleys on-base, stored them in a CONEX (a steel shipping container) out back when I wasn't working on them, and only got charged $1.25 an hour to use a stall, and that included a complete set of tools and a full hydraulic-lift motorcycle stand.

Doing anything to a vehicle on-base, either in a dorm parking lot, on-base housing driveways, or in the back of a hanger where you might be working, can be hazardous to your promotion speed.
    Other times no one cares.
    It's just a matter of WHO sees you, IF they file a complaint, what your First Shirt is like, and what your field is.
    IF you're a fighter pilot, then the rules get bent WAY out of shape.
    IF you're in say the military police, then they seem to watch you all the time and even may try and make an example out of you.

I suggest that you get separate rats, BAS/BAQ and move off-base, maybe even share a house with a friend or friends, and then your life will be a lot easier.
    I can remember the guys coming to my on-base home, with a DAMN RULER and measuring the height of the grass in the front and back of the house, EVERY Tuesday. IF even ONE strand was longer than 3 inches, they could throw the book at you. And after a few violations/citations, you could lose your on-base housing.

But even if you live off-base, as long as you have a military ID card, you are welcome to use any of the base services, like the Auto Crafts/Hobby Shops, paint booth, high-pressure steam cleaners, welders, etc.

Just be aware that SOMEONE could be watchng you.
    And keep your vehicles clean, you CAN be cited for a dirty vehicle, if someone thinks your vehicle is an eye-sore.

Good luck and enjoy your time in.......:D